Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,421   Posts: 1,596,711   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
    I dont wanna get bifocals!...my dad has bifocals, shit I'm still a teenager chasing my girlfriend...I mean wife around...damn, I'm a dirty old man.

Big dial it is...and hit a drug store for some cheater glasses. A question about the glow in the dark dials, do they fog black and white paper? I'm going to give it whirl and check my darklights as well, but just wondering.

Thanks,

Erick
    In my experience, anything glow-in-the-dark doesn't affect paper at all. The darkroom in my school was covered in glowing tape (so you know where everything is) and I've never had a fogged print. My timer at home also has glow in the dark numbers, and it's not even fogged color paper, which is far more sensitive than B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, today's bifocals aren't like your parents'. Most are made "progressive no line" that you won't be able to tell apart from regular glasses. (that's the kind I have). They just make your life far easier for no change in appearance. Be aware though, some people take a while to get used to changing optical power within frame. I had no problem with mine.

I have glow-in-dark dial type. It doesn't affect my paper or film. Of course, I don't stick it right up the paper/film and hold it there for hours at a time.....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Do digital-- The only two items of camera gear that I own that have batteries are my thermometer and my light meter. Both are digital and more expensive than most of my cameras. The digital thermometer has the ability to give instant temps rather than having to settle or waiting any length of time. I have small temperature probe covers that go in the corner of trays and then I can put the probe into the covers without getting chemistry on anything.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Jobo thermometer like this eBay item #320537793178.

It's in celsius only, which I don't mind, and it reacts incredibly quickly. It's actually not "easy" to read, that is, the lateral angle has to be just right, but it's really easy to read close up. Also, very accurate and apparently... CHEAP. Just my .02 dollars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was at the photo shop a few weeks ago and saw an analog dial termometer with a LARGE dial, not the small dial that I used in high school.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't find Bi-Focals particularly pleasant to use in the Darkroom.

End up cricking my neck to be able to look up through the lower half to see the illuminated aperture setting of the Enlarging Lens

I bought a cheap over the counter pair of reading glasses from my local pharmacy which are strong enough to see thermometers up close without making stuff a couple of meters away (across the darkroom) too blurred

Just my $0.02

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
    I dont wanna get bifocals!...my dad has bifocals, shit I'm still a teenager chasing my girlfriend...I mean wife around...damn, I'm a dirty old man.
    Don't kid yourself. If you need 'em, you need 'em. Hell, I've been using them since my late 30's. I was glad to get them because it made reading so much easier. I had a brief affair with Varilux and my feelings about those things are exactly as Mark described. As far as I'm concerned, they're more vanity items than useful ones. In my case, the barrel distortion and chromatic aberrations were just awful. If someone tried to sell you a camera lens with those qualities, you'd laugh straight in their face. Why on earth would anyone consider that acceptable for eyewear?
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow, got more of a response off of this than I thought.

So the reading glasses as found in the Drug store are no good? I'm pretty eye sensitive so maybe I'll forgo that pain. used to be a pilot for the military and have actually had cheap sunglasses (found out later, the plastic lens on one side was an unintentional 'script) give me headaches until I threw them in the bottom of my kit bag. then no more headaches.

1.) for the bifocals...will take a look at what the Doc prescribed and plunk down the dosh...not happy about it but age is age.

2.) Local store, Conrad's, has digital thermometers, simple digitals all the way through laser versions. I'll take a look at a few of them, rough $ conversion is btwn $15 ~ 35, at least what I am willing to spend. I'll take a look and see what they have. If I dont like them, than a large dial thermometer.

Didnt think the glowing portion would fog paper, but need to ask.

./e
    Last edited by 77seriesiii; 05-29-2010 at 06:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: dial.fog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry about the glowing part fogging the paper. You don't need to worry about temperature so much for B&W print making. Color prints and all film development needs total darkness, so you won't be able to see it anyway.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The drug store stuff isn't bad, as long as you don't buy the cheapest possible ones. I spent about $30 US and I'm happy with it.

IF you are considering bi-focal though, that would mean you have near sightedness already, and you are now developing far sightedness. The drug store stuff is for far sightedness ONLY. Bi-focal work little differently. They have prescription on top half for near sightedness and REDUCED correction of near sightedness at the bottom. Mine is made like this.

I have store bought one because if I am wearing contact lens, the correction is too much for near reading. So I wear store bought one to reduce the correction.

Go to store and try it. Or even buy one if you think it might work and try one. They are cheap.

I have the no-line type and they are great. According to my eye doc, some people just can not get used to it no matter how hard they try. For those, he recommends the traditional type with line in the middle. I got used to it immediately and I don't even think about it now.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin