Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,209   Online: 861

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

thermometer for those of us starting to play the trombone...

Ok, the eye doc cracked a few jokes at my expense during my last checkup. Asked me if I play the trombone?...Uh no, why? You know when you read, she then made the sliding motion with her hand and trying to get a book into focus and told me to start considering BI-FOCALS

So there I said it, getting old. On top of that, I need to purchase a few darkroom thermometers...any suggestions out there from those already afflicted with crappy short vision?

Primarily doing B&W work and am now delving into prints.

Denial...just not a river in Egypt.

Erick
    Last edited by 77seriesiii; 05-27-2010 at 05:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot something...age

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
    ...any suggestions out there from those already afflicted with crappy short vision?
    Get the bi-focals.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Verilux glasses. They focus at all distances, and, I didn't find them hard to get used to. Work great in the darkroom, focussing a camera, playing my horn, flying, and other endevors.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I wear my contacts my near vision is awful. When I wear my glasses, I just look above them and can see up close fine! Natural bi-focalness :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got a Kodak Process thermometer. It has a wide flat indicator column around 2 to 3 mm wide and 2 to 3 mm spacing between the degree marks. Plus there are arrows at 68(20c) and 75(24c).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I *think* your best bet is to get bi-focal. I have a few pairs and they are great. There is no need to delay getting them if your optometrist is recommending them to you.

That said.... I have a dial type thermometer. They are much quicker to respond and far easier to read than the regular alcohol/glass type. Digital kind may be good, too.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Erick,

In addition to the bifocals, consider a second set of glasses. I have a second set of glasses that is optimized for desk work. It gives me a full field of view when working at my desk (and mill and lathe!) but I can also read easily (including a micrometer).

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the largest dial-faced thermometer you can find, and calibrate it to your lab thermo. Or a digital, calibrated as well. If I cant read it with my reading glasses(+1.5) then I get my magnifying visor out(x10 mag.). I have a 2-1/2" dial face thermometer, dont need glasses for it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    I dont wanna get bifocals!...my dad has bifocals, shit I'm still a teenager chasing my girlfriend...I mean wife around...damn, I'm a dirty old man.

Big dial it is...and hit a drug store for some cheater glasses. A question about the glow in the dark dials, do they fog black and white paper? I'm going to give it whirl and check my darklights as well, but just wondering.

Thanks,

Erick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just went through this too, real bifocals are real nice.
    Tried the Varilux/no-line style and they literally hurt me to use.

You know how parallax changes in your camera when your shooting architecture, imagine a bad version of that every time you turn your head to read a line of text (yes you have to turn your head, scanning with your eyes is no longer an option if you get no-line lenses) the the page, or whatever else is around your subject, distorts and twists.

The only thing I'd caution you on with bifocals is that you need to tell your doc what your normal reading distance is. My first set of normal bifocals was set with to strong a magnification which made the DOF real short and put the normal focus distance too close to my face, 14 inches +/- about 2. With a bit less magnification I'm comfortable from 14 to 24.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin