Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1210

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cleaning dichroic filters

I have a Durst L1200 fitted with an VLS501 multigrade head. The darkroom has been out of use for about 7months and I am wondering if I should try and clean the filters in the head. There is a thin film of dust on the outside of the head which I will clean with a damp cloth.

Can anyone give me advice on the safest way to do this or are they best left alone. I have never tried to clean the filters in all the time I have owned the enlarger. I intend to give the bulb a wipe with a soft dry cloth.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd not do a routine cleaning. Too much risk of damage. I cleaned the thin film off my 1975 enlarger's filters when setting it up for my kids last year, but there was no change in printing times. I usually only clean them if I'm in there for some other repair. Then sometimes not. When I opened up my 1992 Durst CLS2000 head for repairs I left the filters alone. Especially since replacing a broken filter could easily amount to more than I paid for the entire head.

I was cavilier about cleaning the filters on my first D5500 back in 2001, but back then one could easily get replacement filters in just about any size from fpoint. Right now I know of no source for generic replacement filters in appropriate sizes for enlargers. (statement proven wrong...see below)
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-29-2010 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Right now I know of no source for generic replacement filters in appropriate sizes for enlargers.
    UQG Optics stock a range of "standard" sizes - They can also cut to size (for a price). I would imagine there are similar suppliers in the USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    UQG Optics stock a range of "standard" sizes - They can also cut to size (for a price). I would imagine there are similar suppliers in the USA.
    Thats great! I was hoping someone would point to a source. It figures its not in the USA, but I expected that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Thats great! I was hoping someone would point to a source. It figures its not in the USA, but I expected that.
    Try Edmund Optics over there.. - I've never used them, but they appear to have a broad range of filters & glass that would be useful for photographic purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Try Edmund Optics over there.. - I've never used them, but they appear to have a broad range of filters & glass that would be useful for photographic purposes.
    Got it, here they are. Prices seem reasonable:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1734

Now where is the guy over on the LF forum with the cracked Cyan filter...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin