Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,668   Online: 1055

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    If there will be a bathroom across the hall would that be OK?
    Yes. I survived for 12 years in Japan with a bathroom across the hall from my "closet" darkroom. You do not need running water.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkroom & running water?

I will add that while doing 8 rolls of c-41 tonight it made me greatly appreciate having a sink right there. A large sink is great to contain the constant flow and splashing of a water bath. One could foreseeably do this in the kitchen however. It's just easier and more convenient in the darkroom. If you're like me and do a lot of printing it's damn useful having the sink right there. Also being able to contain the print washer rather than breaking it out on the kithen counter everytime is a big plus.

If one can wing it they should figure out a way to get water in the DR. As someone who has done it without water for a while I wouldn't go back.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I built my darkroom without running water, but a zink and running water just outside the door to the darkroom – call it the lightroom!
    I could easily have installed running water into the darkroom, but decided not because of the following experience:

A long time ago I had together with some friends a marvellous huge darkroom including “everything”. But those of us who weren’t into mass printing “cards”, but rather making a few prints with some ambition towards the “perfect print”, were all the time running in and out of the darkroom in order to view the print in full light, and do some thinking how to proceed.

In view of this I realized that the important thing with a darkroom wasn’t a wet darkroom but just a DARK room ☺. Nothing wrong with water in the darkroom, but if you want to view your prints in full light you could as well have water and washing trays in “the lightroom” – of course nice to have it very close to the darkroom. Your eyes adjustment to the darkroom light will not disappear that easy, unless you don’t do tooo much thinking how to proceed next!
    I always keep clean water in a 20 liter plastic container (with a tap) in the darkroom, just to have water at darkroom temperature easily available.
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first home darkroom did not have running water and to be frank it was not a big deal because my bathroom was right next door. I used to set up my print washer in the bath and quite happily produced 12x16in prints this way. The only down side was I stripped the chrome off the plug hole. I have a purpose built darkroom now and running water is a boon. It makes cleaning up afterwards that much easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I said earlier, you can do (and I DO) without water in the darkroom, if you are actually designing and building a darkroom, you might consider getting plumbing done at the same time. It's convenient and it'll make your life easier.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin