Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 700

Shooter
    Multi Format

Has any one tried making a digital enlarger out of a mini AV LED projector?

The price of a DeVere digital projector cost so much I get dizzy counting the zeros in the price. But, you can buy a little LED digital AV Projector for a little over a hundred dollars that will cover an area of 21-inches at 1 meter/3.28 ft distance, that would work for an enlarger I would think. You could use an existing enlarger frame. Most software would convert a digital file to a negative, so for black and white or Color the issue would be controlling aperture and timing some how. But what do you think? I definitely cannot afford a DeVere, and this seems like a simple (maybe) solution for making real prints from digital files in your darkroom...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, those dont have enough resolution for prints. You need something that will project an image that has AT LEAST 300 dpi at the final enlargement size, which means MILLIONS of pixels. That is why the Devere is so costly.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those little projectors have very limited resolution at 640x480. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I *think* if you feed B&W image, it can only do 256 depth of shade. Combined with both of these limitations, I think you'll be disappointed with the result....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It might make interesting lo-fi pixelated images though... wouldn't hurt to try just for fun.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin