Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,982   Online: 936

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

*x10 film development in drums - more questions

Yesterday I developed 4 sheets of 8x10 in my imitation Jobo (Simmard is the brand).
    The antihalation backing didn't completely clear in the fix, so I had to remove and fix in a tray, and then washed in a tray, as I couldn't figure out how to wash the film in the drum. I scratched 2 of the 4 sheets - one removing it from the drum, the other during washing.
    I then went on and developed 8 sheets of 4x5 in trays (2 sets of 4) and didn't scratch one.
    Lots of comments on this site laud drum developing as much less likely to cause scratches than tray developing. I like being able to turn on the lights and do some tidying, or catalogue negatives or something instead of standing in the dark carefully shuffling, but I was also looking froward to scratch free negatives all the time.
    I have scratched negatives in trays, but not very often. The percentage is higher I think with 8x10 - I've only developed maybe 50-75 sheets of 8x10 and hundreds of 4x5s over the years.

Any helpful hints from the experienced? Thanks

What film did you use?

To wash in a Jobo one simply adds the requisite amount of water, and rotates for say 5 minutes x 4-5 times. So far I have never scratched a negative during washing or developing in my CPP. If one is concerned about removing the film from the tanks simply add some water to the compartment in which the film resides, and slip the film out. The inside of the Jobo tanks is quite smooth, and when the tank is wet at the completion of a cycle the film normally comes out without much of a problem-even without water having to be added.

I am not familiar with the Simmard tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put a piece of nylon window screen behind the film when processing in the drum. No anti-halation, no problem getting negative out.

tim in san jos
    Where ever you are, there you be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin