Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,889   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

MF Enlarger lens

Having impulsively bought a Mamiya C330 plus lenses I now need an enlarger lens.
    Question is would there be a visible difference at 7 times enlargement between a Nikon75mm 4 element f4 lens and a Nikon 80mm 6 element f5.6 lens if used at optimum f number? This would be using FP4+ developed inID11 1+1 using a Meopta colour head and Ilford MG RC paper. I should add that I can discern a very slight difference between my Nikon 50mm 4 and 6 element lenses at 12 times enlargement but with these lenses the 6 element lens is faster than the 4 element.
    And Would I be right to assume no particular quality difference between Nikon, Meopta and Companon s 6 element lenses?
    Cheers

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used an 80mm f4 Componon-S for enlarging 6x6 and 645 negs and it was very good. An f5.6 lens would probably be rather dim to focus by. Still, the 6 elemsnt lenses are almost certainly sharper.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I use a meopta 6 element lens, I have used both nikon and companon lenses and can find no differences at up to 12x16, However my favorite lens was a minolta E rokkar, which beat all of the above, sadly my darkroom floor is concrete, without a carpet, just tiles easier to clean up any spills, and one day whil'st changing the minolta it slipped, and concrete and fine glass do not mix very well, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Schneider Componon S f4/80 available for a reasonable price.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are my two cents. First of all, having tested more than 50 enlarger lenses, there is often more difference between the same type of lens than there is from brand to brand. Buy with an option to return, or you may end up with someone's reject.

Having said that, in general, I would always prefer a 6-element lens to a 4-element lens. I'm not sure you will see a difference between the lenses you named under the conditions you stated, but 6-element lenses have some advantages.

1. better correction for lens aberrations
    2. better performance wide open (more resolution in the corners)
    3. good performance over a wider enlarging range
    4. wider apertures are easier to focus with
    5. better contrast (this is what people often call 'sharpness')

Go for a 6-element lens if you can. Used prices are at their lowest ever. Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock and Meopta (yes Meopta!) are all very good. Some of the best lenses, I ever tested were labelled 'Durst'.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I have a Schneider Componon S f4/80 available for a reasonable price.
    Hello Rick
    What is reasonable? And how much is postage to UK?
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Here are my two cents. First of all, having tested more than 50 enlarger lenses, there is often more difference between the same type of lens than there is from brand to brand. Buy with an option to return, or you may end up with someone's reject.

Having said that, in general, I would always prefer a 6-element lens to a 4-element lens. I'm not sure you will see a difference between the lenses you named under the conditions you stated, but 6-element lenses have some advantages.

1. better correction for lens aberrations
    2. better performance wide open (more resolution in the corners)
    3. good performance over a wider enlarging range
    4. wider apertures are easier to focus with
    5. better contrast (this is what people often call 'sharpness')

Go for a 6-element lens if you can. Used prices are at their lowest ever. Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock and Meopta (yes Meopta!) are all very good. Some of the best lenses, I ever tested were labelled 'Durst'.
    Thanks Ralph for your considered reply. What you say is pretty much along the lines of my thoughts and that variations within marques are as significant as variations between makes.
    Cheers

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a few copies of each lens you mention. Its noticable the positive effects of the better 6 element 80mm, but the 75mm is not very bad, actually quite nice for small portraits. As mentioned above with the way the prices are you can get many samples of the same lens for what one was going for new not too long ago. Get a few and test.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    I have a few copies of each lens you mention. Its noticable the positive effects of the better 6 element 80mm, but the 75mm is not very bad, actually quite nice for small portraits. As mentioned above with the way the prices are you can get many samples of the same lens for what one was going for new not too long ago. Get a few and test.
    Not financially possible I regret to say. Which is why I am looking for advice before spending money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If money is an issue then wait until it is not. Have a garage sale, cut back on some other expenses (like not eating out so often) etc until you can afford a six element lens. Like Mr. Lambrecht stated, enlarger lenses are dirt cheap these days so it shouldn't take too long. Having purchased a medium format camera as you did, you obviously care about image quality. Having a six element lens to enlarge these 6x6 negs is simply another link in the chain that leads up to your final prints. Think about it - why bother shooting such a fine camera as the C330 if you are going to compromise quality at the printing stage with a cheap lens? Save your money and buy a top notch lens; you'll be glad you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin