Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,753   Online: 918

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikor also made a loading machine for 28, 50 and 100 foot lengths of 35mm, 46mm 70mm, 3.5" and 105mm film so these are the different dimensions of Nikor reels that are out there. I think there was different sizes of reels and tanks depending on whether you are processing motion picture films, filmstrips or micro film versus standard long roll films. The reels used for 35mm motion picture films were 9" for 28' and 16" for 100' of film. I am still looking to see if I have any information on the smaller sizes of reels for 35mm film that fit the smaller 7" nesting tanks.
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd love to have a Nikor tank and reel like that for 8mm and 16mm movie film. I use a Lomo reel right now, but it is starting to develop some brittle edges.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am 99% sure the ILFORD 72exp processing reels were stainless steel.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob View Post
    Nikor also made a loading machine for 28, 50 and 100 foot lengths of 35mm, 46mm 70mm, 3.5" and 105mm film so these are the different dimensions of Nikor reels that are out there. I think there was different sizes of reels and tanks depending on whether you are processing motion picture films, filmstrips or micro film versus standard long roll films. The reels used for 35mm motion picture films were 9" for 28' and 16" for 100' of film. I am still looking to see if I have any information on the smaller sizes of reels for 35mm film that fit the smaller 7" nesting tanks.
    Gord
    Do you have a picture of your nesting tanks? Are they just a smaller version of the big ones? That's interesting that you mention they made a 46mm version. I have a 46mm 100 ft reel (advertised as 35mm :-( :-( ) that looked to me like it was very professionally cut down from a 70mm reel... but I suppose it could have been Nikor doing the cutting from their stock of 70mm parts. I have two loaders, a set of the big (100 ft I think) nesting tanks, the 46mm reel, and a 16mm reel. Still looking for a 35mm reel. Long ago I had the (50 ft I think) nesting tanks and 35mm reel and unwisely sold it all.

How about some informative pics and stuff:

My old tank set and reel (my new tanks look just like this but bigger, but I haven't taken pics yet):

A loader and 46mm reel:

...and I've scanned in the instruction manual for the long reel stuff, but I don't seem to have put it up on my website yet so I'll have to look for that later and post a link. At least when that was printed, there was no mention of 46mm being available.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try and get a couple of pictures of my tanks posted on the weekend.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    I am 99% sure the ILFORD 72exp processing reels were stainless steel.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Not all of them... I have two, both are black plastic. I was actually looking for a stainless one when I bought these.

They're interesting reels, as they are the same size as standard 35mm reels, and fit in normal tanks... they just have much finer grooves. I don't think I would pick them for regular use though, as they seem a bit delicate, and don't have the loading conveniences of the "regular" reels. The instructions also say that development should be extended by 10% and agitation doubled, so I suspect that the chemicals don't flow through the grooves as easily as with standard reels...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin