Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,588   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Identify this bulk 35mm reel?

On a hunch, I snagged this obviously longer than normal 35mm stainless reel dirt cheap on That Auction Site - sure enough, it is big enough to handle my Canon 100-exposure bulk rolls with a few turns of the spiral to spare. No way it would handle the older 250-exposure back cartridges though. It's like it was made specifically for the FN-100 back. It came without a tank but I think if I replaced the center stalk in my Jobo 3033 tank with one slightly smaller in diameter it would actually work in there. The center clip is very reminiscent of the long-roll (250 exposures easy!) Nikor reel and tank I had way back when. But there are no markings on it anywhere to tell me who made it.

SO, anyone recognize this thing? There's a picture showing it next to a standard Hewes reel (showing that the spoke wires are about that same thickness) and then a picture of the center clip. The diameter is about 6.5 inches, while the Jobo tank is about 7.5 inches (and those old Nikor bulk reels were nearly 12 inches!)

Duncan

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    years ago ilford made hp5 in 72 exposure rolls and one had to have a special over size reel and tank for development. I don't remember it having that ring with screws in the middle but it was certainly oversized. It also had a special loader to help get the film on the reel as it was very thin. I found that to be a waste of time, as it just took a bit of practice to learn how to handle the thinner base.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I thought of that, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the Ilford reels in the past and they were not this big. I load 108 exposures in my FN-100 carts (3*36 exposures) plus generous amounts of leader, and this thing easily swallowed up a test strip of film with lots of room to spare...so it would be significant overkill for 72 exposures.

(I have definitely shot and hand processed the 72 exposure rolls of HP-5 back in the day, but can't for the life of me remember how, on what equipment... since "the day" was so far back!)

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmmmm... B&H currently has one of the Ilford 72-exposure stainless reels for sale in their used department (but no picture on the web page). Is it worth paying $19 plus shipping to settle this question?

EDIT: I've sent them a query on their web contact form, asking the diameter...

Anyone out there in APUG-land have one of the Ilford reels, by any chance? I've found references online which says Nikor made one with thinner wires that fit in their standard tank. (That matches my near-nonexistent recollection of what I used.) And one with normal wires that fit in their older 4.5" tank.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That was fast! Their (imprecise) answer is "You will need a bigger tank 220 tank" I'm going to take that to mean the older Nikor 4.5" diameter tanks, rather than it being an outrageously bigger-looking 6.5" reel like I've got here. The mystery continues...

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's a Kindermann 70mm long-roll developing tank and reel set on That Auction Site right now, and of the 3 reels included one of them looks to be constructed exactly like this. Every other picture I can find of Kindermann reels does not look like that, though, so I suspect it's someone else's reel that just happens to fit the Kindermann tank.

While I was doing a google image search on Kindermann though, I came across this picture that is captioned as "Nikor 70mm reel"

http://static.photo.net/attachments/...-127705584.jpg

So maybe more recently Nikor made some long-film reels that were smaller than the monstrous ones they made back in the 50's... Time to start stalking Nikor references more closely!

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford reels were plastic and, if I recall correctly, fit into a Paterson tank but were spiral load like stainless reels.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Try tray develpemnt same way as 4x5 if you have a place with total darkness.In this way, you don't need a tank at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    hmm my reply didn't show up... You can try tray development with tray if you have a place with total darkness. You can save soem money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, another clue! It's definitely Nikor, as I have now come across another couple of reels, complete with two tanks and a lid. Weirdly, even though I got all these together, the lid does not fit either tank. (You know how stainless stuff is matched when made and you can never mix them up? Apparently doubly so for this big stuff, the lid will not even remotely fit over either tank; it's basically the same diameter, instead of being a hair bigger...) So I'm still on the lookout for these parts. Anyone ever seen this stuff before or know where there's a cache of it? Along those lines, anyone ever seen a Nikor catalog, so we could know definitely what they made?

Duncan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin