Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,385   Online: 859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Dusting 10x10 Glass Carrier and 8x10 Negatives

I have been looking at that Kinetronics 280 11" dusting brush at B&H, but at almost $80 I thought of some alternatives.

Anyone using a simple 13" $20 brush like this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you would regret it. Bristles are far too coarse. I have used only compressed air for 30 years. Kodak used to supply a good brush in a couple of sizes. IIRC 1" and 2". AFAIK they were made from squirrel hair. Try an art store and get a soft wide brush.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's going to scratch the heck out of your negatives. I don't even use my kinetronic's brush anymore. I just use the compressed air approach mentioned above for my 8x10 neg's. If the glass in the carrier needs more cleaning than that, I use a good glass cleaner and wear latex surgical gloves when handling the glass.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    IC:

Go to your favoerite paint and hardware store and buy a soft natural bristle (not boar) brush of 2 to 4 inches. That should work.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by langedp View Post
    If the glass in the carrier needs more cleaning than that, I use a good glass cleaner and wear latex surgical gloves when handling the glass.
    What is a good glass cleaner for negative carriers - ie something that doesn't leave behind any sort of chemical residue that might damage negatives over time?
    thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What is a good glass cleaner for negative carriers - ie something that doesn't leave behind any sort of chemical residue that might damage negatives over time?
    thanks
    I use Windex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSarff View Post
    IC:

Go to your favoerite paint and hardware store and buy a soft natural bristle (not boar) brush of 2 to 4 inches. That should work.
    I already have a 2" antistatic brush. But the repeated swipes required for the 10x10 glass allow dust to re-settle on the glass creating a never ending sequence of events

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to know more about those that are using compressed air. I have the cans but they are a whimpy for a big area of glass. My shop air compressor for air tools blows moisture and is quite loud. I'd have to put the compressor in another room and pipe the air in after going through a dryer and filter. Is that what you guys are doing?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Have you considered an anti-static device like the one Kodak used to make that emitted ionized particles while you brushed the film? I have one somewhere in storage, and it works great. The only reason I don't like compressed air is that it scatters the dust into the air and it then resettles onto the glass and film. On the other hand, I have a film of Sally Mann that shows her using some on her 8x10 carriers and film, so I guess it works for her.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/da...ftener-bright/

The finest brush, I have two, no scratches and no residue, I keep them in their own dust free boxes.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin