16mm/100ft tank construction video
Showing the basic steps I took, this mk I tank is an important learning step for me. I have actually used this tank, once was enough to find all the problems with this design.
Video journal of the "missile launcher" (since it likes to launch the inner tube like a missile if you dont tape the end cap on when using it).
This shows construction of the first 16mm ~100ft I built (ended up being 86.5ft in this one).
There are problems with this design I didn't know about or think of until I went to use it.
This design takes a long time to construct, is very difficult to load.
I would also recommend if using the heliacal-spiral type like this desig of mine, to have the spiral track cut into a tube (perhaps a wooden solid cylinder?) about 0.5cm+ deep so the film can be crank-wound on.
Currently, at the moment I recommend a 2D spiral type on a base board that gets placed into a bath, a spiral may seem hard to make, but you can do it with vertical rods (nails, dowel, otherwise, etc) rather than two tracks at bottom and top like a 35mm/120 roll hand processing tank for still film.
If your film needs to touch against something (such as the rod 2D spiral type or rack processor, or this tank in the video) wind it on so the emulsion side is not touching anything, then it is perfectly fine.
I'll make a new tank and show a video, as well as mixing up useable formula for processing ECN-2 at some point.
I'll be scaling up my final design when I find the perfect design after building enough 100ft tanks for 400ft and 1000ft and 35mm as well.
The usual question that is asked of home ECN2 is "how are you going to deal with the remjet layer ?"
Not wanting to break with tradition:
How are you going to deal with the remjet layer ?
Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
The processing equipment is what is hard for motion picture lengths.
In this design the non-emulsion side is completely against another surface, remjet doesnt come off in developer, so you can develop, stop, then remove by hand in light, or even do it after fix. Which is what I did with my first roll.
When processing 35mm ECN-2 in a hand tank, I use a little hydroxide in ~40c water, with lots of agitation, then a fresh lot of it a second time, then plain water a third and fourth time, lots of agitation in all removes 98%+ of it, should be pH neutral then too,any left over traces dont come off in developer and can be wiped off by hand after.
Honestly, its not much of a problem
thank you for sharing That is one heck of a build- do you plan a second version?
Yeah, I plan on more videos. I have a second processor already built, though it is intended for a single use (hence nails + wood) its much smaller, and simpler design and should be easier to load.
The next tank/processor I plan to try and overcome most of the problems with Mk I, as well as a shorter amount of construction time, to make it easier to build, the type will probably be quite different as well.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Thank you for posting the results of your hard work on this project. I have been collecting the energy required to do my own "Man Ray" type of films. Abstract work. I have the 16mm camera (spring driven), silent projector and negative film stock. I would love to use a sealed development tank, but for me I think I will have to devise a really simple solution, else I might lose interest.
I haven't built this yet, but I am considering making a "Ferris Wheel" or "Water Wheel" contraption where the film is wrapped on a much larger cylinder. ie 24" diameter. I would spin the wheel by hand over a small tank of chemicals and then I would simply move the wheel to the next tray/station at the appropriate time . . . or better yet, I could just swap in a different tank of chemistry at the appropriate time. All the development steps would need to be accomplished in complete darkness, of course. I'm trying to imagine any pitfalls in this concept.
What I have done, is made a 2D spiral out of nails on a wooden base board, rather 4 rows of nails, so it goes in kind of a square spiral wrapping around the rows and rows of nails.
The base board as holes drilled in it, and I made a wooden bath wide enough to accomodate it (in the ~40cm vicinity), just knocked together real quickly for my report.