Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,784   Online: 871

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Pens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use them on RC to reasonable effect.

FWIW, I'm a klutz when it comes to brushes of any type.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried these. I don't like them. They're too "wet". I prefer using a brush with spotting dyes so I can essentialy dry-brush the dye onto the paper in many thing layers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post

But it is nice to have a range of pre-mixed tones easily at hand.
    If only the tone that comes *out* of the pen would be the same as what's *on* the pen...

I've used them years ago and wouldn't go back unless there is no alternative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your responses. I think I'm leaning toward sticking with spot tone like dyes and the triple zero brush. But like Matt, I'm sometimes a klutz with the brush, and have to wet and dry the print all over. There's no perfect solution to this, and I gather whether you use a brush or a pen, it takes patience and practice to spot prints quickly and accurately. And in the years I've been doing it... I still need more practice! That said, I have gotten very good at ridding my negs of dust, so I don't usually have too many spots to fix.

Again... thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too! Keeping your negatives clean is the best way to spot prints I've learned over the years. As we all know, it's not always possible.

Print spotting is tough work, maybe the hardest part of making a nice print. The trick, I think, is to use as dry a brush as possible, and to blot, blot, blot with each spot. Takes a long time to build up density that way, but you don't get the halos and other artifacts associated with print spotting.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hate the pens, I have a bit of spotone left but I also use the dyes from Marshall.

R
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I should have made one more point about Tetenal pens which I would think applies to Spotpens. You really need a "warm" set for WT paper so, yes, if you use both neutral and WT paper that's two sets which starts to get expensive but as I said each set is likely to last a lifetime of spotting.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a set of the pens, and my experience has been pretty much as stated, they look good but I've not been real impressed in using them. I went and got some NOS spottone to use instead.
    But, if you want to try the pens out, I'll try to have them with me for the next NE AUG outing we both attend and you can borrow them if you like.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was VERY happy with using them when I was printing silver-gelatin. I hated spot-tone dye because I could never mix "just right". The Spot Pens came out great, and I found it easy to work with them - when in doubt, start with a lighter shade than you think you need - if it's wrong, it basically won't have any effect. When it's right, it blends perfectly. If you goof, just a tiny bit of moisture on a cloth (or a fingertip) suffices to remove the bad spotting and you're off to the races. And they come in cool tone and warm tone varieties. The first set of cool tone pens I bought over a decade ago are still working.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am horrible at spotting, but what works best for me is the watercolor sheets that freestyle sells. I find it easier to get the right tone and density.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin