Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,809   Online: 882

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Pens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I hated spot-tone dye because I could never mix "just right". .
    One trick with spotone is that you don't mix at all. As you go along, you just keep diluting at the edge of the beaker or whatever you're putting your drops on. And another trick is that you don't throw anything away, just let the remainder dry and re-wet it for the next time.

This way one single drop of spotone will easily last a year. I can't remember the last time I added another drop.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got both, and use both. Depends on the paper I printed on, whether or not I toned the print, how much spotting needs to be done, the destiny of the print, and what I feel like doing that day. I tend to be faster with the pens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nowadays I use the Peerless dry sheet dyes from Freestyle-

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/73300-...rs?cat_id=2504

I simply get a small white watercolor palette, fill the individual indentations with water, cut up the Peerless dye sheets into small pieces and place them in the water until they bleed out and remove them. Once the water evaporates, it is easy to wet a brush and use them. The dyes last forever like this and it is a simple task to mix different colors as I often need.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sumi ink works well for spotting fb and is fairly easy to use.

Get a couple of sticks, one cool black, one warm and you'll be set for life and several reincarnations as well. Of course you can blend the inks as needed.

I like a pure white Corelle dish from Walmart, 'Winter Frost' as a pallet, it's thin enough to put on a light table and be illuminated from below, which help with thinning and matching shades. You might have to hit it with some bleach now and again, but it does work well, for me at least.

You can take the ink off the stick with a brush if you place a drop of water on the stick first for a few moments and then thin it on the pallet or you can use the back of a piece of tile or the unglazed underside of an old stoneware dish to 'grind' a bit of pigment off for use, if you don't have dedicated stone to use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a set of Spot Pens - but still apply the ink to the print using a 000 brush.

I could never get the Pens to leave a small enough dab of ink - so I now wipe the brush on the Pen Nib and then use the Brush to spot the print.

Not sure the Pens are great value but I have always found diluting the Inks/Dyes to be a slow and painful process and I really appreciate the fact that the Pens come in ready mixed strenghts.

You pay your money and you make your choice......

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both the warm and cold tone kits--and they keep plugging along after nearly 4 years. The dye remover pen is really useful as well...

What I have found is that the supposed "scale" is close for some papers, totally useless for others, and generally a guide. I has taken much experimentation of the stock of papers I use to get a feel for how they will perform. As noted, the RC papers are the trickiest--and crazy things can happen with FB papers that have been selenium toned.

FWIW from my experience, a brush or nib in combination with the pens is a better solution for them. The stuff Berg makes isn't bad--but it takes a lot of tinkering and failed ventures to get the mix just right...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a set for 12 years and they're still going strong. It's the only thing I've ever used so have nothing to compare them to, but I'm satisfied with them.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suzanne

Why don't you give ink sticks a try? Simple and lasts forever.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know those, Ralph. Can you point me to a link?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Ralph is referring to sumi-e ink as described here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/2...tml#post314053

and here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_and_wash_painting

suppliers search:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=sumi+ink+stick&aq=f

I'm sure others here have preferred suppliers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin