Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,902   Posts: 1,584,545   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Pens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spot Pens

Anyone try these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Pen_Set.html

My spotone is getting old...one of the bottles is largely dried up, and as I'm looking to replace the spotone, I came across the above item, and wondered if anyone had tried them. They look like a good idea, but I have a feeling they won't last the same twenty years my spotone has lasted!!

Still, spotone is gone, and there are some other dyes out there, but I'm tempted to give these pens a go.

Thoughts???

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    suzanne,

we have several sets at school and found them to be very hard to use with RC papers, but then so was spotone.

ann
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would only use them on fiber papers, did you try them with that? I'd expect just about any kind of retouching on an RC based paper would be hard!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dried out Spot Tone is still good!

Save your money and reuse your dried spot tone. Wet your brush and dip it in the dried spot tone. Some spotting dyes come as dried dye kits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spotting RC papers with anything is difficult, but it can be done. Marshall is marketing the replacement for Spotone, brand name Spot-All. They claim it's the same as Spotone, but I've heard that there are some slight differences. Who knows? I'm sure you can make it work.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was looking at the replacements for the Spotone when I came across those pens. They do seem a tad pricey... especially given the mileage I've gotten out of this Spot tone, but I do like the idea of not messing with water to get the tone just right.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 06-14-2010 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    35mm
    These look the same as Tetenal pens which are very good. Each pen will last between a long time and forever. RC glossy is difficult but the RC lustre/pearl/satin surfaces are easier. Each pen's point is incredibly fine so patience is required to spot anything except a pin prick spot and it doesn't look right until it fully dries which might be several hours.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentaxuser, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Good to know they'll last awhile. If I mess up, and make a spot a bit too dark with spot tone, then usually five or ten minutes in water will wash the bad spotting job away. Can that be done with the pens, too?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suzanne- I have both, but prefer Spotone. Occasionally, the pens give me a "halo" around the area I've spotted. They do wipe off, if you're quick enough, though. I feel like I have more control with Spotone and a brush.
    Also, if you have dried Spotone, add a touch of Photo-Flo. You may get more use out of your bottle.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use the pens and I like them, but I too sometimes get a halo around small spots, even with fiber prints. It's like the color does not absorb evenly for some reason.

But it is nice to have a range of pre-mixed tones easily at hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin