Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,243   Posts: 1,680,112   Online: 841

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, on average, you get about a half-dozen uses out of them before they go?

What is is that wears out on them? Is it the metal ridge around the case or is it the metal cap that gets loose?
    I wonder if it is that gap in the body where it joins up with the metal end cap that wears and gets bent.
    I suppose it's futile to try to unbend them or to fix them once they go.
    Could you handle them more carefully?

My teacher in high school used to bulk roll film for us students. I know he reused cartridges dozens of times before they wore out. And that is with high school kids handling them.
    (See in my post above in reference to losing a roll of film... )

Were the metal ones made 25 years ago just built better?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    How do you reload the used regular cartridges?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some labs with regular cartidges retrieve the wound in leader (there are specific tools for doing this, or they can be improrvised), and leave a little tongue maybe 1/2" to 1" long hanging out of the felt. You tape the bulk film onto this 'tongue', and wind your bulk film into the cassette with it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is quite a variety of quality for reusable film cartridges. I've got some I don't use because they are sort of flimsy and I'm sure they'd leak or fall apart if I dropped them 2 feet. I've got other ones that have been used continuously dozens of times for years with no problems. It was 20 years ago when I bought them, so no guarantees they are still available. I'll try to put a photo or scan of them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    How do you reload the used regular cartridges?
    Check this photo.net thread. There are some photos about mid-way down the page; just scroll down to see how it's done.

Images
    "Were the metal ones made 25 years ago just built better?"

From that time I used Kodak snap caps and Kalt—I still have a few of the Kalt. Currently I have been using the metal cartridges that Freestyle Sales is currently selling—I have used about 75 of these without problem, so it seems like the quality is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have looked at the ones from Freestyle. Thought about buying them. Maybe I will.

But, judging by what you just said, I might need to be more careful with my carts, regardless of where they are made.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was given a bunch of 35mm Agfachrome from the 1970s. You cannot get it processed any more, but the cassettes are great for bulk loading.

It was hard to discard the (process paid) film though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Images

Shooter
    35mm
    I have some of the black plain metal ones from freestyle and the sprocket holes of my film are always fogged. Sometimes it comes uncomfortably close to my film gate, too, so I've been kind of worried that maybe I shouldn't be trying to save money. It really helps with storage and if you are buying name brand film, can save significant money too.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin