Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,130   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Images
    I have some of the black plain metal ones from freestyle and the sprocket holes of my film are always fogged.
    I would sure like to know what exactly is going on here. Is the fogging continuous and does it start at the very edge, does fog bloom around the sprocket holes (of course there is no film in the actual holes), run the entire length of the roll, along both the top and bottom edges, or just one?

Could it be the bulk loader?

In other words, why do some experience problems and others seem not to—handling issue, or inconsistent quality with the actual cartridges?

Do you leave the rolls out in light for a prolonged period of time. I load in subdued light, and keep the cartridges in an opaque can until use, to keep light and dust to a minimum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i am still using some i got in 1981,
    no problems ...
    i don't change my razor after every use either ..
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm
    In the U.K. but I suspect it is the same in the U.S. there are re-useable cartridges where the ends screw on which I think are better. You are unlikley to get problems with light leaks at the "snap-on" area. You need to check the felt light trap each time but these should last for at least 5 occasions befoe the felt becomes flattened or missing. Try passing a post-it note paper along the felt to catch any grit.

Better and cheaper still is to get used cassettes from your local mini-lab for free and attach the bulk film to the end of the film in the cassette then use once only. Manufacturers' cassettes such as these run smoothly so avoid strain on the auto rewind motor of the camera.

Best of all is the labyrinthine metal cassettes such as the Shirley-Wellard. They use no felt at all relying on the labyrinth inside the cassette like a bulk loader to actr a s a light trap. They are well engineered and will last a lifetime. The drawbacks are: They are rare so expensive nowadays and take a bit more effort to load.

Roger Hicks on the Roger and Frances Photography site has an article on bulk loading which is free and he even gives the instructions on the Shirley-Wellard casssette.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know. It must be due to some rough handling or just plain old poor quality. I have some reloadables that I've been using for 30 years and they're fine. I have some others that are just plain old crap. The ones that are crap are snap cap types from factory loaded film. The good old ones are identical to the metal snap caps that Freestyle is currently selling. The plastic ones with the screw on caps are good too, but they might be a little bit tight for some cameras. They work fine in all my cameras, and I doubt that they'd be a problem in any camera; but they are just a tiny bit more bulky than the metal ones.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using mine for over two years now, with little trouble. I use metal ones with snap-tops and plastic ones with screw-on tops.

I get minor light leaks, too. Mostly along the top and bottom of the film, sometimes over the sprocket holes, but never over the images themselves. I use the plastic ones from KALT, too. I don't like them that much: the felt can shift around and sometimes come off, jamming the film or causing light leaks.

Maker-specific cartridges are nice. I have a Nikon F one, but lack an F to try it with :rolleyes:
    Leica cassettes are also nice. However they can be a pain to load and unload, and a few times I've had them stick inside the camera.

Minor light leaks don't bother me at all, as long as they don't affect images. I wish they had DX coding, as I use P&S cameras without manual ISO override.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    I would sure like to know what exactly is going on here. Is the fogging continuous and does it start at the very edge, does fog bloom around the sprocket holes (of course there is no film in the actual holes), run the entire length of the roll, along both the top and bottom edges, or just one?
    Attached image: A scan of one roll of negs in question.

I have other rolls from the very same reel of bulk film, from the very same loader, shot, one after another in the very same camera. One roll does it, the other does not.

Although it's not always possible, I always try to go under a doorway or, at least, find a tree to stand under when I reload the camera.

I always keep the film in a plastic container, saved from a roll of store-bought film. I often keep them in a pocket but they bare carts never roll around in my pocket without being in a container.

Some rolls do this. Some rolls don't. When I find a roll that does it, I set the cart aside and use a new one.

I'd sure like to know if it is because I am doing something wrong because I could save some time, money and trouble if I knew what I was messing up.

Still, I can't help but to think that they get old, wear out and need to be replaced after three or four uses.

Maybe I can put a thin strip of black tape around the rim of the cart after I load it. :shrug:

Minor light leaks don't bother me at all, as long as they don't affect images. I wish they had DX coding, as I use P&S cameras without manual ISO override.
    BTW: DX coding can be faked. Some adhesive backed aluminum foil tape, some nail polish and some patience is all it takes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cont-6-12-2010.jpg  
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 06-15-2010 at 05:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine look about the same. I haven't been able to match it with the cassettes since most of mine do it actually. It can't be the bulk loader because I don't use a bulk loader.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm sure I've seen bulk cartridges with DX coding... was that just a hallucination? OK, I see 100 and 400 coded carts on Adorama.com for example.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post

Maker-specific cartridges are nice. I have a Nikon F one, but lack an F to try it with...

Yeah, I just checked my old Nikon F and darned if the key to unlock the back doesn't have a dog on it. Looks just like what would be needed to slide open the cassette door.

Minor light leaks with re-loadable cassettes are part of the game, and they don't bother me either. Only rarely, and only with sub par quality or damaged cassettes, does the edge fog invade the image area. Heck, I've had edge fog with factory loads too. Happens when you're forced to reload in bright light. If in doubt, blow through the first frame or two and no more worries.

You can get DX coded cassettes. Freestyle carries them, as do most other places that carry re-loadable cassettes.
    Frank Schifano

Images
    Thanks for posting the scan, Randy S. That's a significant amount of fogging at the end of your roll. What loader are you using?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin