Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,982   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Disintegrating contact proofer foam

How many APUGer's have this problem? I have two contact proofers that have gray foam that is disintegrating. I can't use the proofers because the foam bits get stuck on the neg pages or on the neg itself. Is there a place to buy replacement foam that won't rot?

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jon Goodman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I looked in the local phone book (remember those) and went to a place that sold foam for matresses and other applications. They had some closed cell foam (and it was black) and I bought a 1/4th sheet of it. Cut it to fit my frame, and glued it in with contact cement. Works great.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I could get some foam scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I looked in the local phone book (remember those) and went to a place that sold foam for matresses and other applications. They had some closed cell foam (and it was black) and I bought a 1/4th sheet of it. Cut it to fit my frame, and glued it in with contact cement. Works great.
    Maybe I could get some foam scraps.

Best,

Don

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i just scrapped it all off and use without the foam
    what actually does the foam do?
    regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think good felt would work just as well since that's what's used in all my split back contact frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I replaced the disintegrating foam in mine with a neoprene mouse pad cut to fit, it works pretty well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joann Fabric store(not sure if they're in your area). or any good, large(ish) fabric store will have roll foam(1/4" thick), generally with some cloth glued to one side. I just scraped off all the old foam, sanded in smooth, and covered the bare place with gorilla glue(or any other strong adhesive), and then laid the cut-to-size piece of foam down.

works like a charm, and very cost effective too

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    We used to have a foam supplier in Kingston, where I bought foam sheet to resurrect a couple of proofers. They're closed now; try googling "foam sheet suppliers" - should do the trick
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks APUGers for all the great tips. So many vendors and substitutes for foam. One proofer which I keep in the box, the packing foam is fine. However, the foam in the proofer is shot. Should have used the better form for the proofer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin