Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,789   Online: 903

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was able to get the difference between the top and the bottom of the image down to about half of what it used to be.

I spent a lot of time fussing around with shims and putting them in all different places with varying amounts of success. Finally, I took off the thumbscrew that tightens the X-axis adjustment of the lens board and found that there were two thin washers sandwiched between the frame and the enlarger chassis.

"Aha!" I thought. It looks like somebody designed the enlarger to be adjustable by changing the number of washers in there.
    I just happened to have a bunch of that exact kind of washer my toolbox, out in the garage. I got a few of them and was able to improve it. I only have to turn the knob by half of what I had to before in order to focus the top or the bottom.

I'm getting tired and a bit frustrated. I'll look at it tomorrow or the next day when I can do it with a fresh mind.
    Cross my fingers... This might be fixed!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have used washers to adjust drooping lens platforms on the Omega D5's -- I hope that you have luck today!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What you need is the instruction and/or service manual, which I am sure you can get either second hand or from Beseler proper.
    I have the owners manual. It doesn't give much information on maintenance or alignment. I don't have a service manual. Is there such a thing? I'd like to get my hands on one if I could.

----------

I have spent some more time working on this problem today. I have had varying degrees of success but have eventually ended up back where I started.

I have ended up taking apart the whole lower half of the enlarger head. Everything below the film trap: Lower bellows, lens carriage focus rack, etc.

First off, I have found lots of lovely places where dirt can hide. I'm going to have to attack that problem before going deeper into the question at hand.

More importantly, I found that there was already a metal shim behind the pivot screw that holds the lens carriage in place. There is also a wave washer on that pivot. It looks like shimming and tightening is the way one is supposed to align this beast.

What I'd really like to know is whether there is a published procedure for alignment of this mechanism and whether there is a jig or a guage that one can use to assist. (There are special jigs that are used to align movie projectors.)

It looks like I'm going to end up taking most of the enlarger apart, clean and relube all the parts before reassembling and realigning everything.

I don't mind doing the work. I just don't like working in the dark very much.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay! I finally figured it out! It took me a day and a half to figure it out but, now that I see how it works, it should take the average person about 20 minutes to do the job with just a 6-inch spirit level and a piece of test film.

The main way of adjusting the Y-axis focus is by turning the shoulder screw that acts as the pivot for the lens board.

X-axis is adjusted by loosening the thumbscrew and rotating the lens board until you have it the way you want it. But, above that thumbscrew, there is a large shoulder screw that acts as the pivot. Carefully loosen or tighten that screw to affect Y-Axis focus. If you run out of room to make adjustment you might have to use shims behind the lens carrier. You can place one or two thin shims under the X-axis adjustment thumbscrew or you can place a thin shim behind the pivot screw.

There is a wave washer on the head of the pivot screw. That is what led me to the discovery. If there was not a need to hold tension on the lens carrier there would not need to be a wave washer there. One could simply tighten that screw all the way down. (In fact, that's what I had been doing.)

Further, I found that the vertical "bumper stop" screw does not affect image focus very much. It does affect whether the image is square from front to back but it has very little to do with focus at all.
    Randy S.

-----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin