Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,492   Online: 654

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do what that rascal AnscoJohn does, don' bother with the clips at all.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I do what that rascal AnscoJohn does, don' bother with the clips at all.
    I used to agree with this, until I started using rotary agitation.

For 120 film, the rotation tends to cause my film to work itself back out of the reel. So it turns out I do need the clips to work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I used to agree with this, until I started using rotary agitation.

For 120 film, the rotation tends to cause my film to work itself back out of the reel. So it turns out I do need the clips to work.
    I've had that happen with 120 film because of the style of agitation I use. I invert and twist, and that causes the film to back out of the reel unless its clipped in. It only had to happen one time for me to make sure its fastened.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    I just received 5 35mm & 2 120 reels from an ebay seller. The name is small and hard to see but looks like Kinderman. Cost was $8.50 for all. I've always used Patterson plastic reels and tank but the tank broke. I have a Nikor SS tank that was thrown in with a previous purchase of a Yankee 4x5 Agitank. Now I need to practice loading the new reels so I don't mess it up in the dark. Any tips or tricks for doing this would be welcomed.
    This works for me:

1. The emulsion side goes inward, toward the center of the reel (unless you are loading two rolls back to back, in which case one roll goes emulson in and the other emulsion out).
    2. Keep the hand holding the film totally stationary, and simply rotate the reel in place with the other hand. This "sucks" the film onto the reel smoothly and quickly, as opposed to pressing it onto the reel with your hand, which is rough and prone to causing loading errors.
    3. Slightly bow the film away from the center of the reel.
    4. Let the film slide between your thumb on one side and however many fingers you like on the other side. (I usually use the index and middle.)
    5. Let all of your film-guiding digits ride on the outer rim of the reel as you turn it. (Once you get confident, you can slide them a little bit the opposite way that you are turning the reel, as you turn the reel, in order to make loading faster.)
    6. IMNSHO, if a reel does not load smooth as butter every time, there is something wrong with it, and you should forget it. It is trash. Smash it in so no one will ever try to use it again, and recycle it. Reels are cheap enough now that it is not worth it to take the chances you take when working with anything other than perfectly-smooth-loading reels.
    7. Try it all in the light first.

Welcome to The Wonderful World of Stainless Steel Reels!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-08-2010 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree about the clips. I use a combination of inversion and twisty agitation, and they make a difference. However, you don't need them, because you can wrap the end tape around one of the bars in the core and stick it onto the other side of the film. Also, when the film has slipped out on me, it has never caused development issues; just a minor annoyance when reinserting the film into the tank during the post-fixer part of the process.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The key is to pick reels that have good clips. Good clips, non-deformed spirals, easy to load.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I agree about the clips. I use a combination of inversion and twisty agitation, and they make a difference. However, you don't need them, because you can wrap the end tape around one of the bars in the core and stick it onto the other side of the film. Also, when the film has slipped out on me, it has never caused development issues; just a minor annoyance when reinserting the film into the tank during the post-fixer part of the process.
    Interesting thought about the tape, although I find that sometimes when I pull it off the backing paper, it loses its adhesion.

Using the rotary agitation, I've had the film slip out so much that it has gotten scratched.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    The key is to pick reels that have good clips. Good clips, non-deformed spirals, easy to load.
    I have trouble using the clips because only one of my two hands has enough strength and dexterity to activate them.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have trouble using the clips because only one of my two hands has enough strength and dexterity to activate them.
    That would cause a problem. One of my reels, i think a Kinderman, has a spade or point in the middle and you start the film by pushing the middle of the film into the spade, thereby hooking it.

I don't know if that would be easier for you but if it was easier to load, might be something to consider. If you interested, I will take a picture of the spade as used in loading and the name.

On the other hand, if the self loading plastic work, no need for others. The only plastic that I found to always load OK is the Jobo. I have both size reels and don't remember if both were equal in regards to loading or if the larger one was the better of the two.

Then there is the fool proof Kodak Apron. Freestyle has a knockoff of this that they sell.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots more good info! I am determined to make this work for me. The SS reels and tank are much more compact than plastic and use less chemistry. Easier to maintain temp in a bath as well. Thanks all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin