Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,601   Online: 885

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images

Durst Pictograph Repair

I recently acquired a Durst Pictograph off eBay but unfortunately it turned out to suffer from a number of problems. While I did manage to get a refund from the seller, he told me to just keep the enlarger, leaving me with three options as I see it: attempt to repair it, find a new head for it, or throw the whole thing out. I think it may be worth fixing but I'm not sure if it's possible nor if it will be worth the expense of doing so.

The controller (identical to that of a Pictochrom) has some defective buttons on it that make setting some functions impossible. Some of the numeric keys do not work, the time button doesn't work, etc. Assuming I can find replacement parts or a new controller (easier said than done), I figure that will be a relatively simple fix. The most concerning issue, however, is with the closed loop system itself. When set for a hard grade (such as grade 5) the head will "chatter" and the controller returns a "closed loop error" instructing me to check the lamp, which is perfectly fine. Removing the cover for the head shows that the motor is trying to push the filter further into the light path, even though it's already fully slotted in. Any ideas on what's going on or how I might fix it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by E76; 07-09-2010 at 03:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of chassis is the head mounted on? The chassis is probably fine, and you could get a 'manual' color head.

If you are going to trash just the head, I'd pay shipping to get my hands on it play with it. I repaired a number of Omega closed loop heads but I had the factory service manuals and schematics and was able to get some parts from Omegasatter.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I'm pretty sure it's an L1200 chassis so yes, there are definitely a number of different heads available and I'm leaning in that direction. I contacted Durst about a service manual but they said all they had left was the user manual for the Pictograph AF.

Shooter
    Large Format

Durst Pictograph chatter problem

Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    I recently acquired a Durst Pictograph off eBay but unfortunately it turned out to suffer from a number of problems. While I did manage to get a refund from the seller, he told me to just keep the enlarger, leaving me with three options as I see it: attempt to repair it, find a new head for it, or throw the whole thing out. I think it may be worth fixing but I'm not sure if it's possible nor if it will be worth the expense of doing so.

The controller (identical to that of a Pictochrom) has some defective buttons on it that make setting some functions impossible. Some of the numeric keys do not work, the time button doesn't work, etc. Assuming I can find replacement parts or a new controller (easier said than done), I figure that will be a relatively simple fix. The most concerning issue, however, is with the closed loop system itself. When set for a hard grade (such as grade 5) the head will "chatter" and the controller returns a "closed loop error" instructing me to check the lamp, which is perfectly fine. Removing the cover for the head shows that the motor is trying to push the filter further into the light path, even though it's already fully slotted in. Any ideas on what's going on or how I might fix it?

Thanks!
    Chatter problem….. Remove inspection cover on RH column, one screw. Remove four M4 dome head screws on head. Lift off head. Follow instructions on sensor cover underneath.
    Button problem….. Type value first then enter using appropriate button, i.e. 5 contrast, 6 Time etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin