Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,204   Posts: 1,531,653   Online: 1153

Thread: Yikes!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Yikes!

I was just loading a roll of 35mm Neopan onto my patterson real. Almost to the end of it and things starts to stop moving like it sometimes does. I give one more little advancement turn and just hear a *crinkle*. Feel around on the negative and can tell it has been bent enough that will be visible on the negatives. It wasn't going any further so I start to pull the strip off real to start over and *snap*, the negatives strip break into two.

I've had a few rough moments loading film before, but this is the first time I've ever seen a negative strip break in two. Looks like I'll be mixing up enough developer to cover two roll nows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of mine has on his wall a photo of mine entitled "Attack of the Killer Crescent Moons!" I won't tell you how those crescent shapes got into the sky, but Ralph being Ralph, he loves the photo.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I, too, had numerous "crinkle" experiences with various thin emulsions while loading them onto Paterson's plastic reels. Very frustrated, I became determined to learn how to load all emulsions on stainless steel reels, just like my father did, and after several attempts I finally succeeded. The key to success therein was, at intervals, to lightly push the film back towards the reel and if it freely moves in that direction a bit rather than refuses to budge, I knew that it was correctly loading along the reel's paths. Consequently, I refuse to use the plastic reels anymore.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin