Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,845   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega question

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Omega question

I recently acquired a Super Chromega-C dichroic enlarger. The fan is striking something, causing a vibration of the lens that results in a blurred print. I am able to print with the fan off by plugging the timer directly into the wall socket -- avoiding the power supply/stabilizer -- and thereby being able to enlarge without turning the power supply on. The enlarger is plugged into the power supply which is plugged into the wall socket. Am I losing both the power stabilization function of the power supply and the voltage reduction function?

A second and maybe better question is how big a deal is it to get at the fan to see what is going on and how easy it might be to fix?

Thanks. Dave King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My recommendation would be to fix the fan.

Excess heat causes problems, shorter life & maybe other things.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Dave,

I second the suggestion of replacing the fan. A local surplus house should have a direct replacement at a low price. Surplus Shed is a good place to look. I usually use American Science & Surplus for those types of items, but only because they have two stores near me. Newark.com should also have a direct replacement, but it won't be as inexpensive.

There is a fellow who repairs enlargers on a regular basis, but for some reason I can't think of the name.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format

Here are some pictures showing the innards. Getting to the fan is not that hard, open it up and have a look. I'd not run it without the fan.

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for your suggestions and photos. I don't think the head shown in the photos isn't the Chromega C, at least not my version. But they are helpful anyway -- they knock off some of the fear of taking the thing apart.
    thanks Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your problem may be as simple as a piece of debris that lodged in the fan during transport, maybe even a wire or similar that moved into the fan, and easy to repair.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    FWIW: The head shown is for a Chromega D series (4x5).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You probably should look into the head chassis anyway because a lot of dust settles in there.
    You could clean the filters while your at it.

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Your problem may be as simple as a piece of debris that lodged in the fan during transport, maybe even a wire or similar that moved into the fan, and easy to repair.

That's what I'm hoping for. Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do not run the head without the fan. Not a good idea at all. Those halogen lamps run very hot. On the D series Chromega II heads you'll have several problems, and I'm sure the C series dichro heads are the same. First the lamp's life will be shortened considerably. The light mixing box will run too hot and the extra heat will degrade the foam liner more quickly. The foam liner is nothing but white styrofoam, and doesn't tolerate heat very well. First it will turn yellow/brown, then it will melt. Oh, did I mention that you'll smell it getting hot? Trust me, you will. Ask me how I know this. I've had to re-line my mixing box.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin