Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,333   Online: 703

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don

That's excellent advise. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Don

Ralph,

Does your darkroom hot water supply run off large tank (say 250L) or a smaller in-situ model, e.g. 50L or 15L?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom

I'm using the one that supplies the entire house. It has a capacity of 120 Liters. My only problem was people using cold water somewhere else in the house (flushing the toilet), which made the water temperature in the darkroom move up rapidly. This is now fixed by controlling the water temperature in the darkroom via an Intellifaucet. This water controller is the best thing I've ever bought for the darkroom. Set the temperature and forget about it!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom

I'm using the one that supplies the entire house. It has a capacity of 120 Liters. My only problem was people using cold water somewhere else in the house (flushing the toilet), which made the water temperature in the darkroom move up rapidly. This is now fixed by controlling the water temperature in the darkroom via an Intellifaucet. This water controller is the best thing I've ever bought for the darkroom. Set the temperature and forget about it!
    I have the basic Intellifaucet model which indeed is a huge convenience; however, no hot water as the tank isn't supported anymore by the manufacturer and the element has gone so will need to investigate other options. One of the 15L 3kW units is attractive as the installation can be rather less involved, although in "winter" (October to May) I'm not sure whether the 15L capacity and reheat time will be sufficient for washing fibre base papers @ 20ºC. I'll have to try and find my calculations.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once hear of a couple who bought a new house and when they flushed the toilet it was steaming, someone hooked it up to the hot water line. Good thing they didn't have a bidet.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Don

It was a bit long winded but thanks!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are (or were) low flow tankless heaters back in the early 90s, I had one. No memory of what brand. We had a low flow shower head that wouldn't have worked with the standard flow tankless heaters- I suppose unpleasant equals short showers, and thus a lot of savings.

I'm currently getting hot water from an old propane hot water heater that serves the whole house. Water is pre-heated in winter by our geo-thermal forced hot air system. Mixing valve keeps temps consistent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So what I'm hearing is, a separate electric tank for the darkroom. I had no clue that there could be a worse system for obtaining consistent 70f than the old tank, until this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    So what I'm hearing is, a separate electric tank for the darkroom. I had no clue that there could be a worse system for obtaining consistent 70f than the old tank, until this.
    It doesn't have to be electric, but having a tank definitely helps.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reason I recommend electric tanks is the relative ease of installation. Its easier to run wire than gas lines to existing structures, not to mention much cheaper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin