Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 818

Shooter
    35mm

L1200 how to dismantle rotating bellows unit?

I need to dismantle my L1200. I have taken the Cls501 head off but I would also like to take the rotating head off. Not sure if this is simple or not. I tried just unlocking the head so rotates and tried just sliding it off but something I can't see is holding it on. Any ideas what needs loosening/removing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the Durst literature they call that part the "Camera" and I know on the larger units it does not really come off easily. My repair manual (for the larger unit) does not even mention the possibility of removing the "Camera" from the column.

Are you doing a repair, or just trying to make it into smaller pieces for transport?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In the Durst literature they call that part the "Camera" and I know on the larger units it does not really come off easily. My repair manual (for the larger unit) does not even mention the possibility of removing the "Camera" from the column.

Are you doing a repair, or just trying to make it into smaller pieces for transport?
    Moving house and I'm trying to make it easier to pack.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see their is plate held on by 4 allen bolts which goes over the spindle it rotates on. I'm wondering if removing that might do it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've moved mine twice and haven't attempted to remove that. Personally, I don't think I would mess with it.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    ..... Personally, I don't think I would mess with it.
    I agree. Durst ships the carriage/camera assembly attached to the column. If you try to remove it, I'm afraid it will be extremely difficult to get it back in alignment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I've moved mine twice and haven't attempted to remove that. Personally, I don't think I would mess with it.
    It's such an unwieldy thing with all that weight and size at one end making it difficult to lift or pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be extremely careful trying to remove the moveable head unit on the L1200. It is attached to an extremely strong metal spring, that could harm you if you're not careful. I got my finger almost crushed when that head unit unexpectedly shot to the top when handling it...

If I were you: Move the head to the top to release tension on the spring, and deal with the fact you got yourself a beast! It will be worth the effort once it is back up and running, as you already know from using it.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    I'd be extremely careful trying to remove the moveable head unit on the L1200. It is attached to an extremely strong metal spring, that could harm you if you're not careful. I got my finger almost crushed when that head unit unexpectedly shot to the top when handling it...

If I were you: Move the head to the top to release tension on the spring, and deal with the fact you got yourself a beast! It will be worth the effort once it is back up and running, as you already know from using it.
    No intention of dismantling the spring holding unit. Unless it is where the camera unit needs loosening. I'll phone the durst service centre tomorrow and see if I can get any tips from them. I don't want to undo anything that releasea something which will be difficult to get back together. You never know with these things.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin