Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,160   Online: 1085

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do my toning outside. Since my darkroom is hooked to the central air system anytime I sepia tone prints the smell goes through out the house which makes the wife very unhappy. I bleach the prints in the darkroom but then take them outside for the toning part. A quick rinse with the garden hose and all is well. RandyB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, you can develop sensitivity to a certain chemical (component) at any age, and in some cases, you could have a very acute and severe reaction. At minimum, I'd look seriously into having proper ventilation in the area, and try to identify what exactly you are reacting to.... before going the respirator route.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who contributed. even the jokesters.

I think this is a many facet thing, and I've got some good ideas to start with. I think what got me off on the wrong foot was an initial lead for a respirator system costing $1500. And that's where I had such a knee jerk I had to stop and post this query and get some feedback first. But there's a lot of differences in the filtration devices and many of them looking alike each other so maybe the folks stressing ventilation as the key is really the key.

What I didn't mention on the outset is I only caught a small whiff of the selenium last time. As I mixed the chemicals only. I used my Jobo to tone with, and the chems were in a graduated beaker. They weren't gassing crazy into the bathroom and I had the windows open at the time. But maybe I didn't hurt my upper respiratory system this time and maybe I'm just a little run down from an upside down weekend and being dehydrated. I know I hurt my upper respiratory system before (or pretty sure of that) and pretty sure I had two weeks of bronchitis as a result. Maybe its the memory that got triggered recently when I caught a whiff. I don't know.. I think I'm maybe hyper aware of things the second or subsequent times (but first time around maybe thinking I am invincible and nothing can harm me?).
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You really should be watching your prints as you selenium tone. And you can do that with a simple tray. A Jobo is overkill for this, and it doesn't allow you to control the color/tone of your prints.

Selenium has a slight ammonia smell, and if you want a vapour mask for that, get one that is for ammonia/basic gases. On for particulate will not help. Also, you really need to be properly fitted and trained how to use these masks. And you need to be clean shaven for it (moustache is OK, but no beard for it).

I think proper ventilation is the place to start first. Also, don't worry about getting a whiff of these things, and that's not generally enought to have any effect.

There's a fine line between hyper aware and hypochondriac...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you've described your problem that you've associated with toning procedures, the fix is easy. Toning doesn't need to be done in the dark. It can be done under subdued lighting conditions, so find a place that's open to the air and carry out the procedure there. If the problem goes away, you've pretty much got your answer. You won't need the blasted respirator. Your darkroom needs better ventilation. Believe it, you won't like wearing a gas mask.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Toning can be done in full light.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be nice to design a ventilation system with a variable speed exhaust fan. Then, when you having something that needs more ventilation than regular process chemicals, like in toning, increase the ventilation air flow.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just as an idea, Panasonic makes a series of REALLY QUIET bathroom ventilation fans. They are whisper quiet. Maybe you can install something like that over your wet area and vent all that junk outside?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Just as an idea, Panasonic makes a series of REALLY QUIET bathroom ventilation fans. They are whisper quiet. Maybe you can install something like that over your wet area and vent all that junk outside?
    I have two of these in the rafters as exhaust, another running through a furnace filter for input. They are branded as "Whisper" fans. All I hear is the whistle of air through the PVC vent pipes. They have been running great and quietly for five years.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have mild allergies, and my doctor always reminds me that often, what sets off a reaction (like your throat tickle) is the "camel principle" - the one straw that pushed the aggravation factors of normal life over the top to create a reaction, however mild. I use an exhaust fan, bought from Calumet 20 years ago, sized to the room as suggested above. I also run a simple Hepa air cleaner (sized to the room) for an hour or so before I go in, and sometimes leave it on while working, depending on the humidity, etc. My darkroom is in the basement, so what I do in the summer is usually more than the winter, and I just monitor my comfort level. Also, the basement has a dehumidifier running all the time.
    When selenium toning - which I do occasionally, saving up all prints for a big run, I run the fan and the air cleaner, plus a small fan which blows across in front of me to move the tray vapors toward the exhaust fan. The darkroom door can be open for this too, and a window if the darkroom has one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin