Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 802

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

New to Darkroom and Equipment - Enlargers

Greetings,

I'm new to Darkroom work but want to learn. I love photography, and had some very limited experience with a darkroom in Art School 12 years ago. I shoot 35mm at the moment (Nikon FM2n and FE2) and eventually will get a medium format.

I was fortunate to find locally a gentleman who was selling his equipment. I got everything I need and more - two enlargers, easels, trays, development tanks, random equipment, darkroom books, timer, red light, thermometer, etc.

The two enlargers in question are;

1. Omega B-600 with a 50mm F3.5
    2. Rollei Nikor System 6X7 with a 50mm F4

I would like to keep only one. If anyone has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it. I will focus on B&W. At the moment I'm developing negatives myself.

Which one is a "better" enlarger? Also, when things break down, which one has more replacement parts? The B-600 seems to be a "newer" model.

Thanks,

Julien

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Julien, and welcome to APUG.

Where approximately are you? Much of the advice about "better" enlargers depends a lot on your location.

Does either enlarger have a colour head? If it does, that is good, because it makes for ease of use when you wish to use variable contrast B & W materials.

Does either enlarger have a separate power supply with it? If so, that is good, because if one is required they can be a challenge to find used.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    MattKing,

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia - east coast of Canada. They both only have the one power supply. From my research, the Omega still has replacement parts as they still make enlargers. The Nikor is somewhat of a "classic", but quite older. Not sure about the heads. I got them both for really cheap. 100$ for all the equipment needed for developing and printing in excellent condition.

J

EDIT; just saw that you're from Canada...sorry about the Geography lesson!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Julien:

As I understand it, your enlarger probably is the same as an LPL/Saunders 670, in which case it isn't difficult to get things like new negative carriers. See, for example, this listing (and read through the offerings):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Fi...899+4291304538

In addition, if it is a re-badged LPL/Saunders 670, it will have a colour head and will take up to 6 x7 negatives, which is also good.

Your enlarger is probably an ancestor of this current version:

http://www.adorama.com/SD670DXL.html

The B600 is similar to the current C700, in some ways, but IIRC it is limited to a maximum size of 6x6.

If both are in working condition, I would choose the Rollei.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    How often do lamps need replacing? Seems like Omega stillmakes new ones?

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lamps should be generic replacements. Usually MR-16 size tungsten halogen lamps with built-in reflector. Get the 3 letter code from the owner's manual or from the existing bulb. Get a few replacements.

Do you have both enlargers? I'd use them both then decide which to keep. Put the best lens on the one you will keep.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both, yes. Got them used for 50$. The Rollei looks older, but in great condition. I don't know anything about enlarger lens yet, so I suppose testing them both would be a good way to learn.

I also have two easels (crop things) - perfect condition, all metal and felt under the "arms"
    1. 8X10
    2. 14X10(?)

Do enlargers generally take a standard bulb type and lens or does each brand have it's own?

J
    Last edited by HalifaxJ; 07-29-2010 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxJ View Post
    Do enlargers generally take a standard bulb type and lens or does each brand have it's own?

J
    Dichroic heads take standard "projector" bulbs usually. The condenser heads usually require a special "enlarger" bulb without any printing on the end of the bulb.

Omega and Rollei/Nikor both made condenser and dichroic heads, I'm not sure which you have without a picture.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help,

Here's the Rollei Nikor;

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...1&ImageIndex=3

The easels are LPL, 8X10 and 14X17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok that Rollei/Nikor has a dichroic color head and should take a bulb available from any of the internet bulb vendors. If the Omega has a condenser head then I'd say the Rollei/Nikor is the one to keep for 2 reasons: 1) Diffuse light minimizes dust on negatives and 2) the color head is perfect for multigrade B&W printing.

That 50mm/f4 lens is a 4 element lens. It should be fine starting out but some day you could replace it if you want to do big enlargements.

I think that enlarger uses this bulb (EFP) https://www.interlight.biz/light-bul...&ID=FROOGLE-US

They also made a condenser verion of that Nikor enlarger. I'd say you got the better one (but there are a lot of condenser fans out there) so I'll say you got more expensive one
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-29-2010 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin