Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,402   Online: 727

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Transformer question

The transformer for my IFF Ampliator enlarger has two switches on it. The first one is obviously the power switch, but the second one doesn't make anything obvious happen. It can be on or off and everything behaves the same.

The switch is wired up to something inside, but I don't know much about electronics to make any sense out of it.

Does anyone have an idea?

TrondClick image for larger version. 

Name:	transformator.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	930.8 KB 
ID:	25330

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't tell from that picture. Is that a relay to the left of the transformer? I hope your not powering your enlarger on with the case open- that transformer would probably blow you out of your chair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    De Vere transformers have two switches, it's usually to do with linking to some types of Timer.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    On some DeVere power distribution boxes, such as the one for the 5108, there are two switches. The first is marked “Mains: On/Off” for power on or off.

The second is marked “Stabilised/Unstabilised.” Selecting “Unstabilised” sends unstabilzed line current directly to the Dichromat head.

Choosing “Stabilised” sends the power through a voltage stabilizer, if one is connected to the appropriate connector on the power supply, and then to the Dichromat head. This keeps the bulb voltage constant for consistent print-to-print color work.

The 5108 doesn’t use a transformer on the US and Canada version since it uses 4 300-watt 120-volt ELH bulbs that match the input line voltage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Can't tell from that picture. Is that a relay to the left of the transformer? I hope your not powering your enlarger on with the case open- that transformer would probably blow you out of your chair.
    There is a relay to the left of the transformer. The transformer is connected directly to a wall socket, and it has another plug that goes to the timer. I think the relay is used to switch the lamps on and off. It has some large components at the back which looks like resistors.

I suppose it doesn't matter what the switch is for when it doesn't do anything!

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a connection for a timer? If so, the second switch may bypass it for a "focus" function.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Base on the picture this is what I think:

The transformer converts 220v to 48v at 700watts maximum for the bulb
    The resistors drop that lower for some other thing on the enlarger. Like an indicator light or the fan.

Are there wires to the lower switch? Where do the wires come from? Maybe it is to turn on or off the alternate supply , like to turn off any indicator lights.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The resistors drop that lower for some other thing on the enlarger.
    Those resistors are more likely part of a snubber circuit.
    Note the capacitors associated with them.
    Possibly, that circuit is there to protect the lamp or the relay contacts.
    Last edited by MPandolfo; 08-04-2010 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfo View Post
    Those resistors are more likely part of a snubber circuit.
    Note the capacitors associated with them.
    Possibly, that circuit is there to protect the lamp or the relay contacts.
    This sounds plausible. The power supply makes a clicking sound when the lamps turn on and off, and I suppose that comes from the relay. The filter scale lamps didn't work when I got the enlarger, and in the end I connected a small external power supply to the head just for the filter scale lamps. Perhaps the the second switch is there just to turn on and off the these lamps as ic-racer suggests. I will open it up again and check where all the wires go.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin