Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,779   Online: 1130

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a few LPL7700 on ebay at the moment. Two I can find from searching from a same guy are here LPL VC7700 with both 50/2.8 and 80/5.6 Nikor lenses and another here a cheaper one with 50/4 Nikor lens. Problem I can see is the item is in the UK, so shipping will be expensive.
    Last edited by chioque; 08-08-2010 at 02:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jon, any idea if the color head or VCCE head is better for split grade printing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Jon, any idea if the color head or VCCE head is better for split grade printing?
    I have the VC head on the LPL and a color head on a Leitz V35. I am finding myself using the LPL for 35mm due to the convenience of the VC head. The VC head acts just like filters, but better. The exposure stays constant with changing grades. For split grade, it probably makes less difference since you would use full yellow and full magenta anyway. For conventional grade printing, you can work that out the a color head, but it is a pain. Personally, I'd hold out for the VC head if you can especially if you don't do exclusively split grade. The other source for LPL enlargers and accessories is:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/index.htm

Also, you may be able to get a 4x5 version used within your price range and that may be another option.

FYI - the glass carrier I have has the masking blades making it usable down to 35mm and it has AN glass on top. That carrier is enough reason for me to get the enlarger.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    The Saunders/LPL 670 VCCE is a pleasure to use with its ability to dial in small changes in contrast (I have 2 of these). However, I don't do split grade printing and find it not needed for the most part. One issue is that it may be hard to see the grade numbers with the enlarger off, as they are illuminated when it's on. Depends on your safelight brightness. If using different filtration on a print, I usually just block the light with my hand or a card to change filtration.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 08-08-2010 at 12:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you Mark and Jon for the great explanations. Seems the VCCE is the best choice for me!

Shooter
    35mm
    there are other options too.

A durst M805 which will print upto 6x9. It's a professional level model with many different heads including condensor or diffusion. Also a vario head for stepless B+W contrast control. Will print to 20x24 I think but even better with a wall mount.
    One step down from that is a durst Modular 70 which prints upto 6x7. Again a vario head was available for stepless contrast control on B+W. Will print to 20x24 on baseboard.

If you want new then take a look at Kaiser. They also have 6x7 and 6x9 versions. You never know you may a get fuji 6x9 one day. Also a good thing is that wall mounts are availble for these enlargers. the one listed below has stepless contrast control but also a filter drawer as well.
    Will print to 20x24 on baseboard with large baseboard and head extender option ( http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4455 and http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4413).

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4530

Heiland splitgrade head will work this unit but its an expensive option.
    Last edited by tlitody; 08-08-2010 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I forgot one very nice feature. I moved from 4x5 to 6x6, but I seriously missed the perspective correction for trees and architecture. The head on the LPL tilts fairly easily to make the perspective adjustments when needed.....I just need to remember to frame generously when I shoot those sorts of pictures!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I have the Beseler MXT and the 45VXL at the lab . The vxl is the most versitile, but it is quite large. Mine has a Aristo VCL 4500 head on it and a relatively large bellows which allows for a macro sized print from all the formats as well as a 20x24 print with cropping from a 35mm. It will take all the Beseler negative carriers and the 45 dicro S head head if you choose! It is easy square up and with the Flexi shaft adaptors you can focus on the base board with the enlarger run up to the max enlargement with out having to by double jointed. I'm a real fan of this enlarger. but I'm using it every day of the week to make prints of every size and from every format film! The basic chassy is about $1200.00 new.
    Bill

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Bill, I've deemed the VXL too large for my current darkroom.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found the LPL 6700 VCCE on B&H at a decent price and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

I also found it new on ebay in Canada http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:MEWAX:IT#shId
    I wasn't sure if that would be a better option considering it's $350 cheaper, not sure how much for shipping though.

I'm scared to buy an enlarger used off of ebay or anywhere where it would have to be shipped. Not just worrying about it getting damaged during shipping, but also how it was used and treated by previous owners. I buy tons of used equipment in my photography but I feel since the enlarger is the most important piece of equipment in photography besides the camera, it ought to be bought new. Any thoughts on this? I'm still torn.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin