Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,148   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    now I'm in a quandry ... I want to save as much money as I can, and not having extra on my electricity bill would be good, but then again, I'm worried about over using water (it not metered here, but I am doing my best to be as environmentally aware as I can) and a heated supply would certainly cut down washing times (even more so with HCA) .... thanks for the help though everyone.

I think I'll try cold first, I can always fit a hand washer heater in the future if I have any problems.
    I don’t think the water temperature for print washing is too important provided it dosn't come out of the tap in lumps. I read somewhere that if it is below 15°C then it may take a little longer to wash, but given the very small flow rates required for washing, that should not be a problem. However you will need a heated supply for tempering water for chemical preparation and film washing so the instant water heater should be ok. I’m at a similar stage with plans for my own darkroom, so please pass on any thoughts. This evening I signed up a ground worker to clear the site, so maybe I will finish by Christmas??
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks Dave ... i have a thermostatic tray warmer that I will use for chemicals in trays, and I will prepare a load of water from the hot tap indoors for when I develop films (I do that indoors anyway so it's only a matter of carrying the bowl 3 steps from the front door to the out-house - no probs!).

I'm just waiting on the plumber to run water in and take drainage out, and the window fitters to replace the rotten frames then I am away. I have already fitted the sink ( a huge affair that I got for £16 on ebay - god bless the digital revolution), worktops and units, drying racks and wall fitted the enlarger columns.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Aggie.
    True, washes can be made well using just cold tap water for B&W prints and even film.
    But, where speed and efficiency are important factors it is best to use a washwater, at least the temp. of the developer for film and about five degrees warmer than the developer for supports, soft water will help considerably with a wash agent added.

This is particularly important where the support is heavy grade fibre based.
    The reason is that: the warmer the wash, the more the pores of the sport will open to allow efficient dishcharge of chemicals, and even quicker with a rinse agent.

It can be likened to us having a bath, where warm soft water will act more quickly on the pores of the skin, and even quicker with soap.

But then you already knew that.....
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks Dave ... i have a thermostatic tray warmer that I will use for chemicals in trays, and I will prepare a load of water from the hot tap indoors for when I develop films (I do that indoors anyway so it's only a matter of carrying the bowl 3 steps from the front door to the out-house - no probs!).

I'm just waiting on the plumber to run water in and take drainage out, and the window fitters to replace the rotten frames then I am away. I have already fitted the sink ( a huge affair that I got for £16 on ebay - god bless the digital revolution), worktops and units, drying racks and wall fitted the enlarger columns.
    It sounds like you may be just a tad in front of me then.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leon,

It might be worth checking out what second-hand pro darkroom stuff Alex Falk at Mr CAD in Croydon has to offer. They are stowed to the roof with excellent abandoned lab equipment. I live in a converted darkroom sink with an E6 line to wash my smalls. Beats living in that old railway carriage on Faversham Creek any day. www.mrcad.co.uk

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks Helen - Mr Cad is a VERY dangerous place ... an aladins cave full of childlike wonders and delights to tempt us right into our bank managers' bad books. I love it there but have been avoiding going up for fear of spending all the home-improvements budget.

Did you really live in one of the carriages at Standard Quay? Until June, I lived next to the Rec. but have since moved to Chilham ... small world!

This may be a familiar sight for you then ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... well that side of it is not as familiar as the other side of it! (for non-locals: the old railway carriages are just on the other side of the Oyster Bay building)

I didn't really live in one of the carriages, but I did have one for a few years and stayed in it when necessary. I thought about buying the water tower next to the station when it came up for sale a few years ago, and moving to Faversham permanently, but decided that it was a silly idea because of my nomadic habits. I miss my favourite two pubs of all time: the Ship and the Mounted Rifleman.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I miss my favourite two pubs of all time: the Ship and the Mounted Rifleman.
    they've both been shut for a while now - sadly. Co-incidently, my great grandfather lived in one of the little 2 bed cottages in Conyer ... he used to walk to the Rifleman every friday night, and not return to his wife and 21 kids (yes ... 21!) until monday morning - sleeping in a ditch between opening times - so family legend has it. Not sure if I should be proud of my heritage or not

I lived in the flint cottages just around the corner from the water tower ... an even smaller world!

have you got any pics from when you were a Favvy?

sorry - this thread has wandered way off topic

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sorry - this thread has wandered way off topic
    Just a little, but interesting just the same.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin