Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,157   Online: 844

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003
    OK a glass carrier isn't available for my enlarger; so some suggestions for a make shift glass carrier would be appreciated.
    What enlarger do you use? Other brands can often be used with some enlargers, Dejurs will take Beseler or Omega carriers with ease for instance.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I never noticed a problem with film flatness until I actually tried a glass carrier, and suddenly everything was much more crisp. [p.s.: It also works in scanners. Flatbed scanners improve remarkably if you can sandwich the neg/slide between glass instead of using the stock glassless filmholders.]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always use glass at least on top, preferably both sides. This is esp important when using a neg that has areas requireing lots of burning (eg overdeveloped negs or those with dense areas requiring burning in. I guess the denser the neg, the longer the exposure, the hotter it gets, the more buckling it does. Sometimes glass is essnential to getting sharp images across the whole image. It aint that hard to keep clean unless you are doing serious volume and changing negs every 5 mins. If you print each image as a stand alone wotk of art, the 2 extra minutes is irrelevant. Glass has saved more time than it has cost for me, but the again I print low volume.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my 35mm and 6x7 negatives, I use a glass sheet taken from a glass slide holder. The slide holders I have were made by GEPE and come in an anti-newton version. The glass slide holders contain two pieces, one is normal clear glass and the other has a fine texture to miminize newton rings. You can use either one according to your needs. The glass pieces are very thin (less than 1mm) so they don't interfere with the operation of my normal non-glass negative carriers, but are large enough for the holder to clamp down on the edges. I simply place a piece on top of my negative and close the holder normally. This has markedly improved the flatness of the negatives and provides sharpness all the way out to the edges. Hope this helps.
    All the best,
    Daniel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been having problems with enlarger focus/alignment- does anyone know if glass carriers are availible for a 45MRX? Or, the thin slide glass sounds great, does it come in 4x5?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've always had a nightmare time with alignment, and I recently got one of these laser alignment tools (recommended by many here). Sure it is expensive, but I don't want alignment to be the weakest link and such a massive inconvenience. With this I can be tack sharp in seconds, and check before each session to make sure. I haven't used it yet but may be using it in about a week so will report back..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=157407

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My vote is for glass carrier , regular glass bottom , anti newton on top, I get the combos from focal point in florida , very friendly and quick response.
    Without glass neg popping is definately a problem with condenser enlarger.
    Bob Carnie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    I have been having problems with enlarger focus/alignment- does anyone know if glass carriers are availible for a 45MRX? Or, the thin slide glass sounds great, does it come in 4x5?

Matt
    Matt, I'm not aware of any glass slide holders for 4x5. Smaller formats should be relatively easy to find. I haven't had any flatness problems with my 4x5 negatives in a glassless carrier. They seem to be less prone to buckling than the roll films.

Daniel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an LPL 7700 Pro and use it only for 35mm. When I bought it (secondhand) it came with a universal carrier with standard glass inserts. I had immediate problems with Newton's Rings (made worse by the fact that I had *no* clue what they were!). I tried pretty much everything to get rid of them and succeeded by...

...getting rid of the glass! I bought a glassless 35mm insert for the universal carrier (ordered from Jessops for £17). I considered anti-Newton glass but was advised against it with people claiming that it doesn't always clear the rings and can reduce the image sharpness (I don't know how valid this is, but it's what I was told at the time).

I haven't noticed any sharpness problem with my prints, but that doesn't mean there isn't one! :rolleyes: I'll be realigning my enlarger just as soon as I can find some laserproof OHP viewfoils (using Tom Stanworth's suggested method). Once that is done I'll run some checks; glassless vs glassed vs glass-on-top-only (but don't hold your breath!)
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Images
    Good Morning, Matt,

I'm going strictly by memory here: I think that Beseler does have a glass carrier for the 45 MCR enlarger; I seem to recall seeing one on E-Bay sometime in the past.

May I suggest, however, that the Beseler Negatrans would probably serve equally well. It's very well-designed and puts real tension on the negative. There are also only two surfaces to keep clean instead of six with a glass carrier. In addition, I've never had a problem with negative popping in the MCR-X, regardless of the size of negative or the carrier used, and I used the standard 4 x 5 carrier for many years before I bought a Negatrans. Maybe the heat absorbing glass is just doing its job.

Konical

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin