Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,823   Online: 1126

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ok:

The consensus is that glass is the way to go, however newton rings can be a problem, but there is special glass for this, and this glass can reduce sharpness? How does the anti-newton glass impact the quality for those here that use it? I'm trying to find the best balance to use, but may just have to try different options and see for myself. just curious, thanks

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    with my D2v I never use a glass carrier. I could but it is a PITA. to much dust and too many surfaces to clean. I go with glassless.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    ok:

The consensus is that glass is the way to go, however newton rings can be a problem, but there is special glass for this, and this glass can reduce sharpness? How does the anti-newton glass impact the quality for those here that use it? I'm trying to find the best balance to use, but may just have to try different options and see for myself. just curious, thanks
    There is an alternative glass to AN glass. Durst is using this glass on their negative carriers for optimal sharpness. I am not sure but it may be something akin to Denglas (coated anti reflective glass). I believe that they will provide this glass separately. Seems that a glass kit for my 138S was up near $85.00 US as I recall.

On a separate note, I have used glassless carriers before. I have found that glass neg carriers provide optimal sharpness especially for condensor type enlargers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are two types of AN glass--one is textured and one is coated. The textured AN glass is only used above the neg, so it shouldn't impair sharpness. The coated type can be used on both sides of the neg and does not affect sharpness. I have the coated type on my Philips/Paterson enlarger and in one of my contact print frames and the textured type in my Nikon LS-4500AF scanner, and I find the textured glass a bit more effective at reducing Newton's rings.

Images
    Good Evening,

My post of 7-29-2004 in this thread contains an error which I suddenly realized an hour or so ago when I was in about mile 2 of my evening run. (Nothing like some warm, thick St. Louis-region air to clear the mind!)

I commented favorably on the Beseler Negatrans. The correct reference should have been to the Beseler NEGAFLAT (4 x 5) instead. That carrier is extremely effective; I can't imagine how a glass carrier could be better.

By the way, the Negatrans (35mm) is also good, but its major advantage is in moving quickly from one frame to another rather than improved flatness. I don't have a 120 Negatrans, so I can't comment on it from experience, but I suspect that Beseler has done as good a job on it as on the others.

My apologies for the error.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ok:

Did you get any further with this, Sean?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Did you get any further with this, Sean?
    Hi Frank,

After examination of my glassless carrier, and looking at photos of the glass carrier on the net, I found that my carrier is just a glass carrier without the glass inserts. So I have ordered replacement glass for it rather than order a new carrier, and an AN piece of glass for the top piece. It was a special order so not sure when it will show up, hopefully in the next few weeks..

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Sean
    When you get the glass combo , and have tried it out could you post the results.
    My suggestion is to try printing a negative that requires several filter combinations , therefore requiring you to do multiple exposures, .Try a print without glass and one with the glass. Pay paticular attention to the four corners of the print . Of course align the enlarger first for edge to edge sharpness.
    have fun , I am interested in your results
    Bob Carnie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Frank,

After examination of my glassless carrier, and looking at photos of the glass carrier on the net, I found that my carrier is just a glass carrier without the glass inserts. So I have ordered replacement glass for it rather than order a new carrier, and an AN piece of glass for the top piece. It was a special order so not sure when it will show up, hopefully in the next few weeks..
    Hi Sean,

It sounds like the same carrier as I have for my C7700 Pro. Did you have any inserts for it at all?

When your glass arrives and you've had chance to experiment, please do post your findings. I'm very interested in your findings too!

Thanks

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll do some tests for you guys when it's all running.

Frank, I did have a 35mm frame insert, and I'm hoping by removing that 35mm top and bottom piece that the glass inserts will fit there. If that doesn't work then worst case scenario is I buy a used glass carrier and have a spare set of glass..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin