Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,704   Online: 1233

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pros and Cons of glass neg carriers?

Hi, I'll be getting into some MF printing soon and am wondering about glass neg carriers. In the past I was using 35mm so it didn't seem neccessary, but since the MF neg is larger should a glass carrier be considered for absolute sharpness? Is it overkill for MF? I am curious if anyone uses glass carriers for MF and what the pros and cons might be. My enlarger is a Saunders LPL C7700 Pro Color Enlarger. Thanks, Sean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    can you get hold of a copy of Barry Thornton's book The Edge of Darkness? he devotes a substantial section to this very subject.

I do use a glass carrier, for both 35mm and MF and find it equally as important for both. I did take the glass out for a while thinking it was unecessary and my negs popped out of flatness with the heat causing uneven sharpness etc, so I replaced just the top glass and the problem was solved. Dust isnt a huge problem as it only takes a few extra puff from my bulb blower and a quick wipe with the back of my hand (a tip learned from Barry's book).

This is one of those subjects that people always seem to disagree on, so expect some contradictions ... but glass gets my vote.
    Last edited by Leon; 07-28-2004 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi, I'll be getting into some MF printing soon and am wondering about glass neg carriers.
    I find glass on top to keep the neg flat, but not under to avoid Newtons Rings, is the best solution.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use one on my Phillips/Paterson enlarger.

Pros:

--Vastly superior film flatness. Really. Your enlargements will be sharper.

--Flexibility. Glass carriers that have four-blade masks let you handle all sorts of formats with the same carrier, and you can use the blades to crop in the carrier, reducing light spill in the darkroom and improving contrast.

Cons:

--Dust. Four more surfaces to attract dust.

--Newton's Rings. Which are still sometimes a problem with AN glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    interesting replies
    I am not even sure I can find a glass carrier for a LPL C7700. The carrier I have has 4 blades that can adjust from 35mm to MF. I suppose a thin sheet of glass can be glued to it, or maybe I can find a true glass carrier for it. Have you guys had to make your own rig for this and if so any particular info would be useful, thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    OK a glass carrier isn't available for my enlarger; so some suggestions for a make shift glass carrier would be appreciated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use glass for both MF and LF. I found it made a noticeable difference.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sean,I have the Saunders/LPL D6700 enlarger (color). I found a negative carrier made for it on ebay. The one described with glass and the 4 blades to adjust from 35mm to larger negatives. I believe the C7700 is a pro version but very similar to the D6700 so maybe both take the same carrier.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I shoot 35mm thru 8x10". In 35mm and MF (6x4.5) I use glassless carriers, the negatrans for 35mm and a twin-plate carrier for 6x4.5. I've never noticed a problem with film flatness, and I've done enlargements up to 20x24" from 35mm (and a test enlargement of 120x from 6x4.5 to see the grain). I've had grain problems way before sharpness was an issue.

For 8x10, I use a glass carrier, because that's what came with my Elwood. I use regular window glass with no Newton Ring problems. However, it's a pain in the ass to clean four sides of 8x10" glass.
    -Jason Antman

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photograph of a fuzzy concept." - A. A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks gerald, This might be the carrier I would need, and they also sell anti-newton replacement glass for it.

http://www.adorama.com/SD200100.html...rier&item_no=7

Now, just need to look for a used one and maybe one with a pic to see if it will fit..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin