Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,518   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Water flow meters for archival washers

Anyone with experience of using a flow meter to monitor water usage of an archival washer?

See:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=2110468

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just take a bucket of known size (e.g. 2 or 5 litre), open up the tap as you would for archival washing, and collect the water coming out of it in the bucket... Use a stopwatch to time how fast it fills up and you will know the flow rate in litres / second. Multiply that with your normal washing times, and you are done...

Or do you really need millilitre precision?
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Just take a bucket of known size (e.g. 2 or 5 litre), open up the tap as you would for archival washing, and collect the water coming out of it in the bucket... Use a stopwatch to time how fast it fills up and you will know the flow rate in litres / second. Multiply that with your normal washing times, and you are done...

Or do you really need millilitre precision?
    Marco,

If I install an accurate tap control which I can mark off at a known flow rate via the water in bucket method then yes, that is certainly an option.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom

Are you interested because you want to buy one or for an existing setup. I'm asking, because some archival' print washers have them built-in:

http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...t_Washers.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ArchivalWasher.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Marco,

If I install an accurate tap control which I can mark off at a known flow rate via the water in bucket method then yes, that is certainly an option.

Tom
    Tom, there is nothing wrong with such a flow meter, they will be highly accurate if properly calibrated. But I think it is overkill. A properly maintained modern municipal water supply is pressurized using large pumps (at least here in the Netherlands) and should deliver fairly constant results, although I realize there may be demand peaks influencing flow rate...

A normal tap has a metal thread that should give pretty consistent results if you count the number or "turns"... just try it out and see how repeatable it is over the course of a day. You can always go the "high-tech" option afterwards...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Tom, there is nothing wrong with such a flow meter, they will be highly accurate if properly calibrated. But I think it is overkill. A properly maintained modern municipal water supply is pressurized using large pumps (at least here in the Netherlands) and should deliver fairly constant results, although I realize there may be demand peaks influencing flow rate...

A normal tap has a metal thread that should give pretty consistent results if you count the number or "turns"... just try it out and see how repeatable it is over the course of a day. You can always go the "high-tech" option afterwards...
    Marco,

There is the water pressure of the Nova tank itself to be taken into account.

Ralph,

I have a Nova Academy 3 print washer (20x24")

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom;

There are small ball flow meters that are very inexpensive that could be used. IDK any names OTOMH, but we used to have a full kit of these. They have a small knob that moves a conical needle in and out of a tapered conical chamber. The water pressure is adjusted by the distance of the needle and the ball floats on the incoming water and rises to indicate the rate of flow.

They are small, about 1/2 inch on each side and about 3" long. They have standard threaded connectors at each end for easy attachment to equipment. The only drawback is that these must be in a vertical position to work.

We had them on every tank of chemicals in our main testing labs so that they knew precise wash and replenishment rates, and this data was used to derive the data sheets you see posted on Kodak publications.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

Thanks for this, I'll investigate further.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tom;

There are small ball flow meters that are very inexpensive that could be used. IDK any names OTOMH, but we used to have a full kit of these. They have a small knob that moves a conical needle in and out of a tapered conical chamber. The water pressure is adjusted by the distance of the needle and the ball floats on the incoming water and rises to indicate the rate of flow.

They are small, about 1/2 inch on each side and about 3" long. They have standard threaded connectors at each end for easy attachment to equipment. The only drawback is that these must be in a vertical position to work.

We had them on every tank of chemicals in our main testing labs so that they knew precise wash and replenishment rates, and this data was used to derive the data sheets you see posted on Kodak publications.

PE
    Like this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=3610199 ?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those folks in the U.S., McMaster-Carr has lots of options:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#water-meters/=8dxsbt

Here's a simple application...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flow Meter.JPG  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin