Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,562   Posts: 1,545,294   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

OK, scanning sucks. How do I build a small, convenient, modular dark room?

I'm so mad at myself. A few months ago, I discarded a lot of dark room equipment, thinking I would never need it again (including two enlargers! ) Soon after that I rediscovered film. Agh.

Anyway, I settled for shooting color slides and BW negatives. Slides are slides, and I don't care so much about scanning - I can scan them at a lab and it's ok for sharing over flickr (but it's far from what's actuality projected).

Scaning BW is a pain. I just don't like the results. Comparing print and scan from the same negative is a whole different story.

So I'm thinking, maybe I should simply return to dark room? It would be cheaper than buying a scanner anyhow.

I'd like to enlarge to 23x15cm, maybe larger, but it's not a must. Currently I shot 35mm only.

I like the idea of "enlarger in a suitcase", like this http://www.bolha.com/oglas1272351183/povecevalnik I don't need top quality.

What would you choose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Zenith UPA5M? Looks great. In fact, looks really cool. Make sure it comes with negative carriers - but I am sure you know that.

The foam inside the suitcase is often a real mess on these Ruski jobs.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A darkroom is cheaper that a film scanner? Hmm...well not in my case but I think you have the right idea here. I unfortunately abandoned my darkroom (which took about 9 months to piece together the way I liked it) when I left Canada for the other big 'C' recently and am going to be setting up my own modular darkroom ASAP. I think the key is bench space...what room have you designated for it? Is there water available? My last room was water-less but I came up with a reasonable solution for that...essentially a big, lidded tub which hung off of the ceiling with detachable spouts (complete with valves at the ends) for my wet bench.

Sorry, now that I re-read your post I realize that you probably know what you're doing having had a darkroom before and you probably already have a decent venue for such a thing...I'd be happy to provide some tips (or steal some) if I can.

Welcome back!
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you stay with 35mm I would go for a V35 and a Nova vertical processor. Both very compact and suitable for high quality prints. Prices of second hand enlargers came down tremendously so i think in Germany or Holland you can pick one up for less then $250 and a print Pod (8x10" - 20x25cm) for maybe $20. If you would go for a Meopta Axiomat it's here old steel price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I didn't even know about vertical processors, thanks! But looking at the price, I think I see a DIY project here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the heated ones are expensive but the print Pod not. Very simple system and for that price you can not DIY. I have the Nova Masterlab 4x print Pod and then heated for quick work, 4x 0,9 ltr.
    Otherwise I am using a Jobo CPA-2 with elevator but this unit is outside my (small) darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format

and the right part, the Dunco II (6x7cm) enlarger with Split Grade (TM).

But all in 2,50x1,95m

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not take stroll through this thread for some ideas and inspiration? There are a lot of clever, improvised darkroom ideas here, as well as big shiny purpose-built ones that we can only probably dream about, but are full of possibilities. The whole gamut. I don't think any film lover could come away from this thread unfazed! Good luck to you and congrats on your decision!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...portraits.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you would rather remain with a scanner, then try Kodak BW400CN. It scans very easily as it is C41, much much nicer results than FP4/HP5 that I also use. My lab also makes much better prints with it than traditional BW.

Of course it is nothing like doing your own prints from a proper BW but I'm just saying...
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good thread for more ideas.

This is my exit door and if you have less room, you put it in the height. Well that's my whole darkroom in 360 degrees

if you put all photos together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin