Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,063   Online: 815

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is a 11x14 pin registration frame worth

Hey gang, I'm buying a few print frames from a guy whose handling a small estate. (OK, his family member died, and I get first choice before it hits eBay.)

We've struck a deal on two split back print frames, but I don't have a clue what to offer for a Kodak brand 11x14 pin registration frame. It's obviously old, and it's obviously in good shape.

I don't know how much to offer, and neither of us can find much in the completed listings. There is one completed listing that sold for $350, but that was a set up for making plates.

Anyone got a clue what's a fair price? I'm not interested if it's outrageously expensive, nor do I want to try to beat the guy out of it cheap. But I also don't want to give a guy 3 times what it's worth.

Part of my fascination with this piece of equipment is that my wife is beginning to chomp at the bit to try some color separation work from my old slides. I don't really know that much about the process, but all the things I've read so far indicate that I've got to have a pin registration system of some sort, and here's one staring me in the face.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05466.JPG   DSC05475.JPG   DSC05472.JPG   DSC05477.JPG  
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Michael

If it can do what you think you want for multiple registration , which I think it can then I would offer him 1-2hundred dollars , make sure the pins fit into the split back frames and that you can get register pins.
    keeps you wife happy and it is made for multiple hit purposes. there should be enough room to fit in different types of material to punch.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Hey gang, I'm buying a few print frames from a guy whose handling a small estate. (OK, his family member died, and I get first choice before it hits eBay.)

We've struck a deal on two split back print frames, but I don't have a clue what to offer for a Kodak brand 11x14 pin registration frame. It's obviously old, and it's obviously in good shape.

I don't know how much to offer, and neither of us can find much in the completed listings. There is one completed listing that sold for $350, but that was a set up for making plates.

Anyone got a clue what's a fair price? I'm not interested if it's outrageously expensive, nor do I want to try to beat the guy out of it cheap. But I also don't want to give a guy 3 times what it's worth.

Part of my fascination with this piece of equipment is that my wife is beginning to chomp at the bit to try some color separation work from my old slides. I don't really know that much about the process, but all the things I've read so far indicate that I've got to have a pin registration system of some sort, and here's one staring me in the face.

Thanks,
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Hi Michael

If it can do what you think you want for multiple registration , which I think it can then I would offer him 1-2hundred dollars , make sure the pins fit into the split back frames and that you can get register pins.
    keeps you wife happy and it is made for multiple hit purposes. there should be enough room to fit in different types of material to punch.
    The register pins that are with it are Condit, which is apparently out of business. But I get the impression looking at some other web sites that other register pins could be used if necessary. Of course, for the learning curve I'd use the ones that it has already.

Is it true that I could change them if desired later? Does anyone here know how that works? I sure don't.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like the printing frame has the pins already in it - they are the metal nubby things sticking out at the end of the frame.

A problem with this frame is that it seems pretty dedicated to 11x14. I don't know if you can get an 8x10 in sideways - depends on the pin spacing and how much of the long side of an 8x10 negative you are willing to give up.

Most pin registration in photography is for contrast mask work with 4x5 (or 8x10) and uses a pin register easel in the enlarger. You can make a very serviceable setup with a paper punch (the sort used for putting two holes at the top of an invoice) and some loose pins; you need to drill clearance holes in the contact frame back and maybe glue a brass shim strip to the negative carrier to keep the pins in when you put the negative sandwich in the enlarger.

The Kodak setup is nice enough, but I'm not sure if it is useful unless you are doing Cibachrome contacts or something equally exotic.

What's it worth? I'd say not much more than the worth of a nice 11x14 contact frame.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    It looks like the printing frame has the pins already in it - they are the metal nubby things sticking out at the end of the frame.

A problem with this frame is that it seems pretty dedicated to 11x14. I don't know if you can get an 8x10 in sideways - depends on the pin spacing and how much of the long side of an 8x10 negative you are willing to give up.

Most pin registration in photography is for contrast mask work with 4x5 (or 8x10) and uses a pin register easel in the enlarger. You can make a very serviceable setup with a paper punch (the sort used for putting two holes at the top of an invoice) and some loose pins; you need to drill clearance holes in the contact frame back and maybe glue a brass shim strip to the negative carrier to keep the pins in when you put the negative sandwich in the enlarger.

The Kodak setup is nice enough, but I'm not sure if it is useful unless you are doing Cibachrome contacts or something equally exotic.

What's it worth? I'd say not much more than the worth of a nice 11x14 contact frame.
    Well, the idea of some kinds of alternate process color separation is what my wife is after, but frankly I don't really know enough about any of the alternate processes to understand what's required. So I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at a very useful too, or as you say, just a decent 11x14 print frame, which I already have one. I guess I could always use a second one, but I don't know that I'd want to put a lot of money into something that is a duplicate.

MB
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Kodak Vacuum register frame of about that vintage. IDK if it is 8x10 or 11x14, but I have made DT prints using it.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Michael
    We must keep the wife happy by all means! Knowing how busy you are I will be glad to some research for you..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

I have the same set up, punch on board and 11x14 frame with pins. Some one once told me is was for Dye Transfer work. The color matrics is cut long so it has a tab. The negative gets a tab added to it, all of these get punched. A great system, Kodak made some good stuff. These are not easy to find. It took me a few years to get one and it came out of the blue. The 11x14 frame was in it's box with the rest of the frames. I asked ?????? it was in the store room next to some other stuff. What stuff??? That's when I found the punch board. I said that the students will distroy this in a few weeks. My boss said take it home.

Us it well
    Jan Pietrzak

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin