Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,694   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger bellows flare

Rigged up my 'new' Devere 504 enlarger tonight after some prelim maintenance.

I placed a neg in the 5x4 holder and projected onto the baseboard and noticed a series of fient but noticable concentric square rings around the image. Further investigation determined that it was flare from the bellows. Is this normal. I have used an LPL enlarger but did not notice this problem.

Would it be worth painting the inside of the bellows or what else can you recommend.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    You might put a 45 neg holder in the enlarger and see if the rings are still there. Of course, the blacker the better inside your enlarger. I don't know about paint on bellows. Black baffles made of thin shim stock is something telescope makers use to reduce stray light. I don't know where they would go in a Devere, as I don't know these enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    You might put a 45 neg holder in the enlarger and see if the rings are still there. Of course, the blacker the better inside your enlarger. I don't know about paint on bellows. Black baffles made of thin shim stock is something telescope makers use to reduce stray light. I don't know where they would go in a Devere, as I don't know these enlargers.
    LG

The rings are clearly evident with the 5x4 holder in place.
    I vacuumed the inside of the bellows this morning (very dusty) and cleaned all internal surfaces and will experiment again tonight.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Phill,

I am not sure if your enlarger is a condensor or diffusion light source enlarger. However this sounds like my Durst when the lamp is not properly adjusted to the condensors.

If you have a diffusion source, then I would plan on everything internal to the light path needing to be a flat black.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin