Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 829

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I vent my darkroom to the outdoors with an overhead fan (above developer/stop) that I got from Grainger. I have a dark vent (Premier darkroom louvers) in my door that takes air from another room. This I got from Freestyle. In general the air is pretty good and just the goings in and out gives me plenty of fresh air. I searched for a paper/developer combo that looks good without toning as I'm not sure toning is a cure-all for longevity. It certainly doesn't do my longevity any good. My prints will outlive me and that is good enough for now, but I'm not in the print sales biz.

Developers, stop (water), and everything else except the fix, goes in the gray water which just goes out on the ground. The exhausted fix I bring to work and send down the toilet. This is okay for my few gallons per year. If it were more, then I would add steel wool, remove the steel (steel/silver) wool, and then toss the fix that is left. It is pretty much just salt water at that point.

If you don't have a lot of liquid waste, you can evaporate the water from it and just toss the powder that is left.

Silver in low quantities is not on the EPA bad list, as I understand. Selenium may be a different story. Seems like it is a good thing in trace quantity and a bad thing in the San Juaquin Valley.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Who makes a good intake fan? I am planning on putting a weall air in the dry room and want to suck the cool air in as it will get hot in the darkroom.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In response to requests by Kevin and Dave here are a few pics of my darkroom.
    I've included shots of my home made film dryer that cost all of £10 sterling and a useful way of drying and storing graduates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Darkroom.jpg   Dry side.jpg   Wet bench.jpg   Graduate Drying.jpg   Film Drying Cab.jpg  

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a spacious dark room, Les. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    snip:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Well long story short, he found that the spendt chemicals made a wonderful fertilizer.
    there is a company on the west coast ( usa - nevada ) that converts photochemicals into the equiv. of chemlawn.

http://www.itronics.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    In response to requests by Kevin and Dave here are a few pics of my darkroom.
    I've included shots of my home made film dryer that cost all of £10 sterling and a useful way of drying and storing graduates.
    Thanks Les, more details of your film dryer will be of interest. I would show you a snap of my darkroom but it's only a patch of overgrown grass at the moment, however next week the workman are due!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Dave Miller]Thanks Les, more details of your film dryer will be of interest.

I purchased an old metal locker about 5ft 9in at a farm sale in the borders and after giving it a good clean lined it with thin polystyrene. I used wallpaper paste as an adhesive. About 6in from the top I attached some nylon cord in 5 rows from front to back to hang film on and finished it by fixing a greehouse trickle heater to provide heat. There is enough height to hang a 36 exposure 35mm film that dries in about 20 minutes in a completely dust free atmosphere. In all it holds 10 rolls of either 35mm or 120 film and 16 5 x 4 sheet film. The cost was roughly £10 sterling.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Les I WANT YOUR DARKROOM!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin