Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,983   Online: 778

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Would an aquarium air pump be sufficient to circulate water in a temp controlled bath

I want to make my own temperature controlled bath to develop C41 film. I had a print processor in the classifieds but there was no takers so i want to remove the therm units from it and make a temperature controlled bath with them but my concern is how to circulate the water so the temp is even. Can i use a small aquarium air pump for this or would that just give me a lot of bubbles?

Thanks
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An air pump would give bubbles. You might consider a submersible aquarium pump - I used one for several years to circulate my wash water in a large tub.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

My only thought is the temperature of the water bath. The brain is a bit fogged but C41 100f +- yes no?????

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second Juan's idea with the submersible pump - air pumps only make bubbles, giving your darkroom/lab a bubbling (along with the hum of the pump itself) sound - I've tried this once but promtly removed it.

good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    Jim,

My only thought is the temperature of the water bath. The brain is a bit fogged but C41 100f +- yes no?????

Jan Pietrzak

Yes it is. The therms from the processor go over 130F i believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    An air pump would give bubbles. You might consider a submersible aquarium pump - I used one for several years to circulate my wash water in a large tub.
    juan
    Juan... Thanks for the advice. I have a ceramic tile cutter with a pump in the pan that shoots water over the blade, maybe i wi;; use that until i buy one. I checked the web and they seem very cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    Juan... Thanks for the advice. I have a ceramic tile cutter with a pump in the pan that shoots water over the blade, maybe i wi;; use that until i buy one. I checked the web and they seem very cheap.
    Jim - I've bought a couple of inexpensive submersible aquarium pumps from a local petshop, to circulate water in my negative and my print washer. Apart from the humming sounds, they do the job perfectly. And, they are easy to fit with tubing / hoses etc.
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, don't laugh, but I used a kids toy submarine for a while. A plastic battery case with a small electric motor and a little propeller. It even had a rubber suction cup to stick it to the base of the bath. It worked perfectly ;-)
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LMAO!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is what i have to work with, I removed the lid and the roller unit. I wonder what circulated the water in the processor... the rollers? I would be happy if i can use it for one roll at a time since i rarely shoot color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin