Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,433   Online: 816

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Morgan posted on his last ebay batch: "This is my last listing for the Year. The next listing will be mid January."

- Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh... great, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure 2 sets would fit in a Paterson 5 making 10 sheets at a time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think so.
    If it needs a 3 reel tank, you need a 6 reel tank to stack two... An with 2 liter of chemistry, you'll save on the gym club...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5 or 6... I mean the 2 liters tank.
    I routinely do 4x120 and yes I save on the gym.
    :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The procesor holds 6 though right, so it'd be 12 sheets?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My mistake...
    I need more coffee today !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh, just finished my morning coffee (and yes, it's noon here)

This processor seems like a no-brainer. Tray developing is kind of a PITA compared to this, assuming the results are comparable, and shoot, they'll probably be better with less scratches.

Anyone got a Paterson 3-reel they want to sell?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any more 2 liters paterson tanks. I use mostly stainless steel tanks.
    Have a couple of paterson 3 sizes that work with the 2 Morgan set I have.
    No spare sorry.
    :-(

Shooter
    35mm

1st Road Test

I received Morgan's 'MOD Photographic 5x4 Film Processor' yesterday from London (to New York) in 10 days and tried it out this evening on 6 sheets. In short, the appeal to his holder is that it simply works and works simply.

I found that the sheet holder will lie on its side in my changing bag, so you can orient it and then operate with both hands. That helped me find the slots on each side and made loading a bit more positive than holding with one hand and aiming with the other. You do have to practice loading it 1 or 2 times to get the sensitivity and feel for the spacing of the sheets, as Morgan describes in his youtube video. Level of skill is similar to loading a Hewes reel.

The only thing I had to watch out for was moving the holder around in my little changing bag. The drooping bag can snag a corner of a sheet as you move it about and you may need to re-set the film into its slot. To counter, I laid the tank on its side and worked sideways, sliding the tube and holder when filled. My bag is a challenge when loading film holders and the Unicolor drum too, and I suspect would be for any 4x5 day tank. It's tight with all the film holders, tank, top and sheet holder all jumbled inside. A changing tent or dark room would be ideal, and large format folks already know this. (I'm just getting into 4x5 processing from 35 and 120 and I'm using what I have.)

I used a liter of chems at each stage, but a good old-fashioned quart is perfect, as I later measured. With the Unidrum/Uniroller rig, I was using only 300ml of XTOL per 4 sheets, which is the advantage of that method, so it uses roughly 2x the quantity of chems of a rotary system.

I was looking at the Combi-Plan and this costs the difference (in the US) of the 3-reel Paterson tank (#116), if you don't already have one. The Combi-Plan is probably pretty similar in use. The advantage of the Paterson is the quick fill and pour, if that really matters to your processing.

I can't see myself spending $400 for a 3010 or 3006 and I believe that this option comes pretty close to the ease of use of the Jobo tanks for hand processing. It's particularly impressive that Morgan sorted this out and created such a simple, compact and 'finished' solution. Well done. I'm very pleased.

- Charlie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin