Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,731   Posts: 1,670,313   Online: 924

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh, just finished my morning coffee (and yes, it's noon here)

This processor seems like a no-brainer. Tray developing is kind of a PITA compared to this, assuming the results are comparable, and shoot, they'll probably be better with less scratches.

Anyone got a Paterson 3-reel they want to sell?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any more 2 liters paterson tanks. I use mostly stainless steel tanks.
    Have a couple of paterson 3 sizes that work with the 2 Morgan set I have.
    No spare sorry.
    :-(

Shooter
    35mm

1st Road Test

I received Morgan's 'MOD Photographic 5x4 Film Processor' yesterday from London (to New York) in 10 days and tried it out this evening on 6 sheets. In short, the appeal to his holder is that it simply works and works simply.

I found that the sheet holder will lie on its side in my changing bag, so you can orient it and then operate with both hands. That helped me find the slots on each side and made loading a bit more positive than holding with one hand and aiming with the other. You do have to practice loading it 1 or 2 times to get the sensitivity and feel for the spacing of the sheets, as Morgan describes in his youtube video. Level of skill is similar to loading a Hewes reel.

The only thing I had to watch out for was moving the holder around in my little changing bag. The drooping bag can snag a corner of a sheet as you move it about and you may need to re-set the film into its slot. To counter, I laid the tank on its side and worked sideways, sliding the tube and holder when filled. My bag is a challenge when loading film holders and the Unicolor drum too, and I suspect would be for any 4x5 day tank. It's tight with all the film holders, tank, top and sheet holder all jumbled inside. A changing tent or dark room would be ideal, and large format folks already know this. (I'm just getting into 4x5 processing from 35 and 120 and I'm using what I have.)

I used a liter of chems at each stage, but a good old-fashioned quart is perfect, as I later measured. With the Unidrum/Uniroller rig, I was using only 300ml of XTOL per 4 sheets, which is the advantage of that method, so it uses roughly 2x the quantity of chems of a rotary system.

I was looking at the Combi-Plan and this costs the difference (in the US) of the 3-reel Paterson tank (#116), if you don't already have one. The Combi-Plan is probably pretty similar in use. The advantage of the Paterson is the quick fill and pour, if that really matters to your processing.

I can't see myself spending $400 for a 3010 or 3006 and I believe that this option comes pretty close to the ease of use of the Jobo tanks for hand processing. It's particularly impressive that Morgan sorted this out and created such a simple, compact and 'finished' solution. Well done. I'm very pleased.

- Charlie

Shooter
    35mm
    Morgan has again posted his processors on *bay under item #130471750274. This is a great product that deserves support. Should he have even more success with this processor, he can then go on to develop a system for 5x7. etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheld
    Morgan has again posted his processors on *bay under item #130471750274. This is a great product that deserves support. Should he have even more success with this processor, he can then go on to develop a system for 5x7. etc.
    This is a really great solution if you have a Paterson 3 reel tank. If you don't have a tank, then you troll eBay for one cheap.

I suspect these will drive up the price of Paterson tanks.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried this with a Phototherm SSK-4 ? Would be an ideal solution to do half-again as much film per tank, for 1/5 the price of the phototherm 4x5 insert.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Has anyone tried this with a Phototherm SSK-4 ? Would be an ideal solution to do half-again as much film per tank, for 1/5 the price of the phototherm 4x5 insert.

-Ed
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll give it a try in the spring after I have some more work finished on the farm. I have both a real Photothern 4x5 insert and Morgan's insert.

But I'd give it less than a 1% chance of working on a Phototherm. There are two problems, both related to dynamic drag of fluid on the leading edge during the rotation.

First, in Morgan's unit the majority of the leading edge, regardless of which direction the spindle is turning at the time, is exposed to the dynamic fluid pressure, while in the Phototherm insert the leading edge in both directions is solidly supported. This will tend to flip the sheet out of the holding lip.

Second, the Phototherm holder coils the film into a circular arc that is concentric around the axis of rotation. Morgan's device bows the film in such a way that there will be hydrodynamic lift generated at the apex of the curve tending to pull the film from the holding lips. Once the film edge clears the holding lip, the drag on the leading edge is probably going to curl it into the side of tanks.

Again, I haven't tried any of this, so this is pure speculation.

In Morgan's defense, he didn't design the device to work in a rotary processor, so the fact that it isn't well suited to an application outside its design scope is not a drawback. Morgan's design is great for what it's designed to do.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    how much chemical does the patterson tank require for 6 sheets of 4x5? And would this work with rotary processing? that way I can save more chemical.
    Last edited by Rinthe; 01-06-2011 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe
    how much chemical does the patterson tank require for 6 sheets of 4x5? And would this work with rotary processing? that way I can save more chemical.
    I'm pretty sure the sheets will not stay in place if you put the tank on a rotary base.

It is designed for gental inversion, and works well with that method.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    In the 3 reel Paterson tank, it takes 1 liter for for processing six sheets of 4x5.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin