Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,748   Posts: 1,670,524   Online: 927

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike, thanks for the info. It would be cool if it worked in the SSK, but understandable why it probably won't. At least the Phototherm one *exists* at all, which is a good thing.

In any case this one mentioned in the thread seems like a great solution, and very reasonably priced.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear All,

Happy New Year.

And thanks for all the support from you guys. This forum has defiantly helped sell some processors.

Sorry for not being active in the discussions recently, but again on a mission traveling and taking pics. Off again tomorrow to cover Menswear and Haute Couture in Italy & France. If anyone is interested you can see what i get up to on Dazed Digital or the International Herald Tribune (although harder here as i mainly just do print).

I've been spending a bit of time trying to make some new processors- especially a 5X7 version. I have an ad hoc solution, which will not work in a paterson tank, but will be able to process 6 sheets. And!!! When i say Ah Hoc, i really mean it. It won't be too difficult to master, but will involve a new tank system.

I'm away now til Feb, but if you'd like to get a processor please email me-

morgan@modphotographic.co.uk

and I'm very up for selling outside ebay, so mail me if your interested. My next auction will be on the 22nd Feb.

Also if you have any questions/ideas, let me know.

All the best,

Morgan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Selling on ebay

I've got some more on ebay now.

All the best,

Morgan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    finally... the time has come!

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Received my Mod Proessor yesterday and had the chance to try it out.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it, but my maiden voyage did not go as smoothly as some report.

First impression however, is that the unit is a tad flimsy. It feels surprisingly fragile and I just don't have faith that it would survive being dropped on a hard floor. Indeed, the instruction card says "Do Not Drop". Even holding it in my hand, I think I could break it if I squeezed too hard.

Now, I hope that Morgan, or anyone else, doesn't take this the wrong way; I feel that products only get better if people are critical of them. The MOD processor fills a need that no other unit does, and for that alone it's worth having.

2nd Issue: I continually had one piece of film that would "jump the tracks" and become contacted with its neighbor. Now, the reason I know this is because I was reversal processing and after the bleach could safely take the film out and inspect it. It was the innermost film on one side, and 1 or 2 of it's "points of contact with the processor" (know what I mean?) would come "unhitched" and it would go into the middle film's tracks. I probably reset it 3 times and yet it continued to do this. This was very disconcerting, but oddly enough, wasn't detrimental to the processing.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I did a bit of spin-agitation with the spinner stick and also inversion agitation. I can't say if one or the other was responsible for this problem though. The instructions do suggest "gentle agitation" and the inversion, despite how calmly you do it, seems less than gentle simply because there's a liter of liquid sloshing around in there.

(and, FYI to those who know what I'm talking about, my screen-plate positive was not one of the sheets sticking... see RGB-screens thread)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to give an honest opinion of my processor.

Firstly i like to say that this unit was built out of necessity. I have an editorial shoot tomorrow which i'll be shooting 60-80 sheets, to process that would cost between £300 - £400, approx $480- $645. The cost savings by doing this with my processor are huge, its mainly a question of how much you judge you time to be. My assistant and I can knock out about 30 sheets an hour, which means i can return contacts to a client the next day.

The processor is made of Acrylic, which is a brittle material, and if cold it can break when dropped, unfortunately at the moment this is the most affordable way to manufacture the unit. I will accommodate any one who has this problem, its not some sort of scam to sell more processors.

The issue of the sheets moving during developing did occur in the beginning, i think its a combination of factors. To start you have to really make sure the sheets are loaded correctly, it becomes much easier the more you do it, and being very gentle with the agitation. The inversion should be very slow and consistent, and the emptying of chemicals the same. some times i forget i'm doing sheets not roll film and get a bit carried away. Its is a paterson tank, but not with roll film in it.

I hope that helps in some respect.

Cheers,

Morgan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a positive to see the inventor.seller participating on the forum- I'm still thinking about this (using other system), and knowing someone cares is an important factor when it comes time to make a decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Morgan,

Thanks much for your response. I hope I didn't seem too harsh by saying "flimsy". Treated appropriately I'm sure I'll have no problems with it. If a more sturdy & flexible material could be used in the future, that would be awesome, though keeping it translucent is important for reversal processing. This proccesor is great at RPing.

As for the problem I was experiencing, I had another chance to test it when I was fixing/clearing some sheets of 4x5" for an alt. process. Again, I found that the innermost sheet on one side was bowing enough that it stuck to its neighboring sheet. It did not however, "jump the tracks" like last time.

I did my best to agitate exactly like you demonstrate in your video, and although it occurred after my initial fixing cylce (10 minutes, 3-4 inversions every 30 seconds or so), I couldn't get the problem to occur again reliably, using water as a test liquid.

Since I loaded the sheets in light, I was sure that they were correctly loaded. I'm now convinced that spin agitation would be a safe method, but I'm also not sure if that's ideal for development. However, emphasizing gentle inversion might be the simplest solution.

Lastly... it occurred to me that ridges or teeth at the "roof" and "floor" of the two outside "plates" might alleviate this problem.

At any rate, thanks again. Communicating with the inventor of a product is a rare and welcome opportunity these days, and for that I am very grateful.

- Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Photographic View Post
    The processor is made of Acrylic, which is a brittle material, and if cold it can break when dropped, unfortunately at the moment this is the most affordable way to manufacture the unit.
    I'll concur that manufacturing out of extruded plastic would drive the cost up significantly for small production runs. I checked on making one like that several years ago based on the Phototherm molds, and to get the cost down to the prices Morgan can sell his unit would have required a production run of about 5000 units. Which would have meant 4800 units would probably wind up in the scrap heap when I die. Making a run of only 500 units would have put the price at several hundred dollars each. No one would pay that much.

I think that's the beauty of Morgan's device, it does a good job of balancing costs against convenience in a device that can be manufactured in quantities that the LF market can support.

Sure you could do better with an unlimited budget, but if we all had unlimited budgets we'd probably all have our own personal N2 burst line.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I think that's the beauty of Morgan's device, it does a good job of balancing costs against convenience in a device that can be manufactured in quantities that the LF market can support.
    +1 wise words

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin