Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,555   Online: 948

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Morgan has again posted his processors on *bay under item #130471750274. This is a great product that deserves support. Should he have even more success with this processor, he can then go on to develop a system for 5x7. etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheld
    Morgan has again posted his processors on *bay under item #130471750274. This is a great product that deserves support. Should he have even more success with this processor, he can then go on to develop a system for 5x7. etc.
    This is a really great solution if you have a Paterson 3 reel tank. If you don't have a tank, then you troll eBay for one cheap.

I suspect these will drive up the price of Paterson tanks.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried this with a Phototherm SSK-4 ? Would be an ideal solution to do half-again as much film per tank, for 1/5 the price of the phototherm 4x5 insert.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Has anyone tried this with a Phototherm SSK-4 ? Would be an ideal solution to do half-again as much film per tank, for 1/5 the price of the phototherm 4x5 insert.

-Ed
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll give it a try in the spring after I have some more work finished on the farm. I have both a real Photothern 4x5 insert and Morgan's insert.

But I'd give it less than a 1% chance of working on a Phototherm. There are two problems, both related to dynamic drag of fluid on the leading edge during the rotation.

First, in Morgan's unit the majority of the leading edge, regardless of which direction the spindle is turning at the time, is exposed to the dynamic fluid pressure, while in the Phototherm insert the leading edge in both directions is solidly supported. This will tend to flip the sheet out of the holding lip.

Second, the Phototherm holder coils the film into a circular arc that is concentric around the axis of rotation. Morgan's device bows the film in such a way that there will be hydrodynamic lift generated at the apex of the curve tending to pull the film from the holding lips. Once the film edge clears the holding lip, the drag on the leading edge is probably going to curl it into the side of tanks.

Again, I haven't tried any of this, so this is pure speculation.

In Morgan's defense, he didn't design the device to work in a rotary processor, so the fact that it isn't well suited to an application outside its design scope is not a drawback. Morgan's design is great for what it's designed to do.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    how much chemical does the patterson tank require for 6 sheets of 4x5? And would this work with rotary processing? that way I can save more chemical.
    Last edited by Rinthe; 01-06-2011 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe
    how much chemical does the patterson tank require for 6 sheets of 4x5? And would this work with rotary processing? that way I can save more chemical.
    I'm pretty sure the sheets will not stay in place if you put the tank on a rotary base.

It is designed for gental inversion, and works well with that method.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    In the 3 reel Paterson tank, it takes 1 liter for for processing six sheets of 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike, thanks for the info. It would be cool if it worked in the SSK, but understandable why it probably won't. At least the Phototherm one *exists* at all, which is a good thing.

In any case this one mentioned in the thread seems like a great solution, and very reasonably priced.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear All,

Happy New Year.

And thanks for all the support from you guys. This forum has defiantly helped sell some processors.

Sorry for not being active in the discussions recently, but again on a mission traveling and taking pics. Off again tomorrow to cover Menswear and Haute Couture in Italy & France. If anyone is interested you can see what i get up to on Dazed Digital or the International Herald Tribune (although harder here as i mainly just do print).

I've been spending a bit of time trying to make some new processors- especially a 5X7 version. I have an ad hoc solution, which will not work in a paterson tank, but will be able to process 6 sheets. And!!! When i say Ah Hoc, i really mean it. It won't be too difficult to master, but will involve a new tank system.

I'm away now til Feb, but if you'd like to get a processor please email me-

morgan@modphotographic.co.uk

and I'm very up for selling outside ebay, so mail me if your interested. My next auction will be on the 22nd Feb.

Also if you have any questions/ideas, let me know.

All the best,

Morgan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Selling on ebay

I've got some more on ebay now.

All the best,

Morgan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin