Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,159   Online: 1089

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
    Sandy,
    The tubes are available from the manufacturer in the longer length. There is a substantial minimum order and if there are enough people to purchase them we can arrange that. I believe there would be a minimum of 48. I can check when I get back home if you want.
    Mike,

Thanks for the information. I am definitely interested in some of this length for 7X17" film, and they should also work for 8X20. I don't know what kind of plastic the tubes are made of but I think it should be possible to cut them down to the right length for 7X17 or 8X10 film and glue the end cap back on.

Thanks for sending me one of the tubes for testing. I think these tubes are really great. They are light, well-constructed, and every bit as good as BTZS tubes that were made in this size, and which cost three of five times as much. I managed to develop two 6.5X8.5" sheets in one of the drums and the negatives came out super I especialy like the small indentations that are in the wall of the tube as this helps the developer circulate freely around the back. All in all the tubes are really great and I congratulate you for the find because it brings a great product to the market at a very attractive price.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Tube question

Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
    The film is loaded in the dark into the tube.
    So is fiberglass screen required to line the interiror of the tube to process multiple sheets smaller than 8x10? Looking at the dimensions I would guess 4 - 4x5 sheets or 2 - 5x7 sheets may be processed simultaneously.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See if I understand, the 1st cap contains the developer (aprox. 375 ml) - you load the film(s) into the tube in the dark, then screw the tube into the cap with developer, then lay on it's side in water bath (?) and rotate at an interval - could you fill the tube for stand development? Then lights off again, dumped the developer, add stop or go directly to fix - same amount - 375ml - right? Then lights on after fix is added and after x time in fix, ready for wash. Is that about it. Has anyone measured the amount required to fill the tube? Sounds like it might be much easier than some of the other tanks. Volume not much of an issue since I make up at least 1200 ml developer for tray development.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    So is fiberglass screen required to line the interiror of the tube to process multiple sheets smaller than 8x10? Looking at the dimensions I would guess 4 - 4x5 sheets or 2 - 5x7 sheets may be processed simultaneously.

Thanks,

Don Bryant
    Well, I was able to process two 6.5X8.5" negatives at a time with no fiberglass screen. One of the negatives protruded about an inch outside of the tube but fit within the tube + cap. As has been indicated in previous posts the inside of the tubes are indented or grooved in such a way that the developer can flow easily around the back.

I am not sure how one would separate film, say four sheets of 4X5, in such a way as to keep them from flopping over one another, but I am sure some enterprising mind on the list will put his/her mind to the job and find a solution.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    See if I understand, the 1st cap contains the developer (aprox. 375 ml) - you load the film(s) into the tube in the dark, then screw the tube into the cap with developer, then lay on it's side in water bath (?) and rotate at an interval - could you fill the tube for stand development? Then lights off again, dumped the developer, add stop or go directly to fix - same amount - 375ml - right? Then lights on after fix is added and after x time in fix, ready for wash. Is that about it. Has anyone measured the amount required to fill the tube? Sounds like it might be much easier than some of the other tanks. Volume not much of an issue since I make up at least 1200 ml developer for tray development.
    I have measured the amount the caps hold and it is 450 ml to fill just under the threads. If I could find them for the 12x20 I would, maybe the guys selling them are willing to make some, since they were willing to make them in black.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    About 1.3 to 1.5 L should fill the tube enough to cover an 8x10 sheet of film for stand development procedures. I use about 1.44 L with my tubes and Pyrcoat HD.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    About 1.3 to 1.5 L should fill the tube enough to cover an 8x10 sheet of film for stand development procedures. I use about 1.44 L with my tubes and Pyrcoat HD.
    Thanks Francesco, that was the number I was hoping to hear..using either Rodinal 1:100 or Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 the volumes are very economical IMO.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    I haven't seen any pictures so I'm curious as to how you would use these things. You'd obviously have to load the tubes in the dark, but wouldn't you have to put the developer in them in the dark too? Seems like a logistical problem, and then what about stop, fix, etc? Anyone care to share their techniques? Thanks!

Isaac
    Here's how I do mine: First, I load the film using fiberglass screen as backing.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=502&page=1

I use the lid from a Paterson rollfilm tank as a funnel through which to pour.

Once this lid covers the mouth of the tube, I can pour with my green inspection light on with total impunity. After pouring in the developer, I screw the cap on tightly, turn on the room lights and walk away. I come back at 25%, 50% and 75% of the development time for 10 seconds of gentle agitation. In between agitation cycles I stand the tube on it's end, just like you see it here (but with the cap on). This works perfectly and my times are very precise because I can pour so fast.

Hope this helps.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone noticed any scratches/rub marks on the base side of the film from using these tubes? I believe that I'm getting them when I pull the film out of the tube to put it in the stop bath. I think the film is sometimes stuck to the ridges & pulling it out is putting marks on the base. It's shown up in printing on one neg so far. Anyone else getting this?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Matt, this happened to me a lot prior to using fiberglass mesh screens. The screens make removing the film safer and easier.
    Francesco

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin