Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,139   Online: 892

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ansco developing tanks, light tight?

I just got a bunch of those little old Ansco/GAF developing tanks that need a stick to spin the reel around. Although I got 6 of these things including an unused one in the box I didn't get a stick to agitate with. I plan on making one out of a wooden dowel, but it won't be a close fit like the original, and I'm wondering if it will be light tight?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ones I have are clear plastic with a small thermometer in them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, those are the ones. The agitation stick has a built in thermometer. I wouldn't give you a dime for the thermometer's accuracy, but it's there. Incidentally, I just keep them around for show. They are the WORST daylight tanks I've ever used. Plastic reels must have earned their sometimes bad reputation for jamming from these things. They've never worked easily, but the tanks are light tight without the stick.

I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for those things because they are worthless. Do yourself a favor and get one of these. You'll be much happier in the long run. Trust me.
    Last edited by fschifano; 09-16-2010 at 07:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by A Sabai View Post
    I just got a bunch of those little old Ansco/GAF developing tanks that need a stick to spin the reel around. Although I got 6 of these things including an unused one in the box I didn't get a stick to agitate with. I plan on making one out of a wooden dowel, but it won't be a close fit like the original, and I'm wondering if it will be light tight?

Thanks
    Yes. The access point for the spinning tool is light tight even with nothing in it. A pencil works o.k. in a pinch. Despite Frank's dim view, keep the reel clean and dry and they load just fine. I have had at least one on the shelf for almost fifty years, if for no other reason than it was the only thing I could load successfully with 220 film.
    Last edited by Anscojohn; 09-16-2010 at 10:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the Ansco/GAF tanks were larger, and had an extra click position that would work with 116/616 film as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, I'll be giving them a try sometime soon, and if I like developing b+w film at home, I'm sure I'll upgrade to a multireel tank. I didn't pay much for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are you going to use for 4x5?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got a FR developing tank, but after doing some research I bought a stainless steel tank with hangers instead. I'll have to spend some extra time in the dark, but I should get better results. I wish I could afford a JOBO processor. I used one at the photo lab I worked at, and it was great. The only problem I had with the JOBO was sitting in a room all by myself listening to water running and the rhythmic turning of the drum. It made me sleepy, and feel like I had to go to the bathroom. I was afraid I would nod off and pee myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin