Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,840   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can't get an 8x10 size print with Durst M 600

Starting out with printing here, I have a Durst M 600. It has a 50mm lens and I am trying 35mm negatives. I move the enlarger up/down I focus the lens up/down and the sharpest image I can get is not as big as l would like, the biggest I can get is about 5x8? I manage to print an 8x10 but the image is really out of focus. Am I doing something wrong? is the enlarger defective? the enlarger came in a box and I put it together myself, maybe I assembled wrong?

Any advice or direction will help here, thanks!
    Jaime.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi I don't have that enlarger, but if the image is not in focus at larger sizes, it means that the lens is not able to get close enough to the negative. Some possibilities are that the focusing mechanism is slipping or stuck, another reason would be that the lensboard is incorrect for the lens focal length, in that it has too much extension. On some enlargers the lensboard is reversible.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 09-17-2010 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you got the right lens board, with a flat board an 8x5 print sounds about right.

The 50mm needs a sunken board on most of the Durst M600 series enlargers. It's nearly 40 years since I used an M600, but it should be similar to to the M601 I bought in 1975 and my later Dursts.

I think the boards called a Sirotub, the later plastic version had another name

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Ian said, plus check the hole size on your current board. Some 50mm lenses had the smaller 25mm hole and some have a 32mm hole.

Also, the SETOPLA may also work and is easier to find than the SIROTUB. What is the diameter of your current lensobard. Also, pictures will help.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 605 but it may not be much different. With a 50mm and the recessed lens holder which is absolutely essential for the 50mm to produce the full range of print sizes you should get much larger than 10-x8 when the lens is at the top of the column. I am not sure why even if you have the flat holder it doesn't give you sharp focus.

Is it a condenser or dichroic head colour enlarger? If the latter and if it is like the M605 it should have a lever on the side labelled 35 and 66 This allows two diffused slides to swing into place for either 35mm or 6x6 negs. Make sure that they both fully swing into place. They may have got stuck.

The halogen lamp needs to be sitting evenly in its holder. If it is a condenser model then maybe the condensers are not sitting properly. I'd try and take it apart if you have only just got it to see that everything is working as it should.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Durst 606, which requires the recessed lens board for 50mm. Just like those above said. Check eBay - I just saw several lensboards there. I don't know the correct one for the 600, but I bet ic-racer is right.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I turned the lens holder and moved the column up one inch and I get a bigger picture in focus, the lens holder position doesn't look right because when I change the f/stop the lens spins around and I have to hold the lens with the other hand, but it seems to work I got a clean 7'50x10 image that looks sharp to my eye! thanks for the tips!

Jaime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need a Durst SIXTUB (you're probably using a SIXPLA, which is for medium format lenses). These show up on eBay with some regularity.

SETOPLA and any lens boards deigned for M601, M605, 606, 609, etc. are a different size and will not fit the M600.

Cheers,

-andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quine666 View Post
    You need a Durst SIXTUB (you're probably using a SIXPLA, which is for medium format lenses). These show up on eBay with some regularity.

SETOPLA and any lens boards deigned for M601, M605, 606, 609, etc. are a different size and will not fit the M600.

Cheers,

-andrew
    holder is a SIXPLA but I can get larger print by putting it upside down, I will search for the correct model

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You definitely need the recessed lens board for the 50 mm lens with that enlarger. The fact that reversing the one you have proves it. When you reversed the existing lens board, you moved the lens closer to the negative and you got a better, but not optimal result. The lens board you have is made for a longer lens to be used with medium format negatives. Once you get the proper lens board, everything will work as it should and you should be able to make at least an 11x14 print on the baseboard.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin