Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,819   Online: 700

Shooter
    Large Format

LPL Power Supply

I'm about to take delivery of a LPL 4500II sans power supply. I've been looking around for one (power supply) in the internet and I'm seeing prices north of 500 dollars. Is there any creative alternatives?
    Best regards,
    Steven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your enlarger will require an 82V power supply.
    I believe the Kodak 4000 series old carousel projectors used a 300W 82V bulb, therefore, there should be an appropriate wattage 82V power supply in every Kodak 4000 series projector, just waiting to be hacked onto any enlarger that is missing its 82V power supply

Here is 4000 projector for $35

http://www.recycledgoods.com/product...As-Is-for.html

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I've seen the lpl power supplies on ebay for low price occasionally. The power supply also powers a fan continuously. If you need a projector for power, I have some.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Contact KHB Photografix in Toronto, I think they are now the best source for enlarger related things in the world...EC

Shooter
    Large Format
    I contacted them, their quote was $600 for new, $350 refurbish, it just seems like an awful amount of money for a power supply. I might end up doing it anyways but I want to see if there's any alternatives. The projector bit sounds interesting. I would have to see the enlarger plug first..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The real ones are pricey, except for the one I forgot to bid on on ebay that sold for about $35.00 a few months ago. The typical price when they show up is about 150 - 250 USD, sometimes a bit more on a good day for the seller. They don't show up terribly often.

When my first one died I cobbled up a substitute using a household dimmer. To set it, I connected the dimmer to a track light running a couple of 100 W bulbs, and measured the voltage as I dimmed it till it got to 82 volts. Then I marked that place on the slider.
    The fan operates at 120 so you just need a regular switch for it. Ohming out the connector isn't too difficult if you're equipped to do the rest. If I can find my notes I'll post the pinout.

I've since bought a real one off ebay, but I like the slide projector power supply idea. I used my substitute for a year or so, worked fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin