Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,968   Online: 954

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a large kitty litter tray that serves as a tempering bath. Temperature control is achieved by means of an aquarium heater and submersible water pump left over from the days when I actually kept fish as a hobby. The tray is pretty deep for litter pan - deep enough to half submerge a 1L bottle. Needless to say, that's a bit deep for a film developing tank, so I use a brick as a stand for it. Another 1/2 brick serves as a weight to keep the tank from floating as it tempers along with the chemistry.

A standard issue digital kitchen thermometer is pressed into service. These are inexpensive and can be considered as expendables if and when they fail. They're not always accurate, but they are consistent, so I calibrate it against a known accurate glass thermometer and note the differences at my standard processing temperatures.

I too balk at the cost of obtaining an easel capable of holding 16x20 paper and I've gotten some good ideas for making one from this thread so far. Using a border-less easel as a base is a good idea, but it's still too pricey for the amount of use I'd likely give it. A nice flat piece of steel maybe 20 x 24 inches would be just about right. A few magnets and some strips of black card stock for the borders would work out just right. Now to find that nice flat piece of steel.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too balk at the cost of obtaining an easel capable of holding 16x20 paper and I've gotten some good ideas for making one from this thread so far. Using a border-less easel as a base is a good idea, but it's still too pricey for the amount of use I'd likely give it. A nice flat piece of steel maybe 20 x 24 inches would be just about right. A few magnets and some strips of black card stock for the borders would work out just right. Now to find that nice flat piece of steel.
    I too was going to make my own base for my 16x20 easel; but I managed to snag a brand new Saunders 16x20 borderless easel of Craigslist for $35.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for starting the thread bblhed. Because of the thread, there's a lot of good ideas worth stealing here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I look for "darkroom equipment" almost every time I go to Bed Bath & Beyond ...
    Too high end - it's the "Dollar Store" for me .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, shh, but I use 1 gal tea jugs for my fixers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wire coat hangers to make dodger handles - cut, bend to shape, tape a bit of cardboard to the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
    Wire coat hangers to make dodger handles - cut, bend to shape, tape a bit of cardboard to the end.

I've done the same thing with screwdrivers. I have a few really long, narrow-shafted screwdrivers which really are not much thicker than wire clothes hangers. The scredrivers were in my darkroom already, and I didnt feel like going to the laundry room and unravelling a wire clothes hanger
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 4x5 film washer from an old Yankee-style plastic cut film developing tank?

Mine was inherited. If you turned it over it had a moderately recessed bottom. So I drilled a grid of small holes into the bottom, along with a single slightly larger hole. I then drilled another larger hole 2/3rds of the way up one side wall of the tank. Inside the tank I connected the two larger holes with a short flexible piece of tubing in such a way as not to interfere with the held film sheets. Finally, I epoxied a quarter-inch sheet of rigid plastic over the bottom, completely sealing it airtight. This produced a small internal tank space for water just below the film chamber. The side hole got fitted for a two-foot length of tubing that terminated in a garden hose fitting. My darkroom sink faucets use garden hose connections.

To use it I connect the external hose to a tempered faucet. The water enters the side wall opening and passes through the short internal tube down into the base, where it then wells back up evenly through the grid of holes and overflows the tank top. If the supply of water should stop, the tank then just sits full.

If I owned one of those digital imaging thingies, I'd post an image or two. But alas, I don't.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-26-2010 at 03:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I owned one of those digital imaging thingies, I'd post an image or two. But alas, I don't.
    How 'bout a friend or other family member. I'd love to see a picture, having some trouble visualizing all the details.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I'd love to see a picture, having some trouble visualizing all the details.
    It's more simple than my description makes it sound. I'll see what I can do. The wife has a cell phone that makes images, if I can figure out how to use it.

(Geez, I can't believe I just said that...)

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin