Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,911   Online: 856

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ken:

The problem with some of the 50mm lenses is that they stick out too much at the back, so when the bellows is racked up, the lens body itself stops the turret from rotating.

Same problem with recessed lens plates - they move the lens back so it interferes physically with the operation of the turret.

If the lens extends far enough back, it can even make it impossible to slide the turret assembly into place.
    Oh yeah! Now I remember the problem. I had another off-brand 50mm lens that resulted in exactly the behavior you describe. An extended plate pulled it too far away from the negative, and a flat plate made the rear element housing protrude too high up into the turret. Fortunately the Schneider 50/2.8 does not have this issue.

Thanks, Matt!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys for the D5 turret info with the 50. The D5500 turret is a little different, but, like the D5 turret, there may indeed be some 50s that will focus and spin as not all 50mm lenses have the same flange focal length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Thanks guys for the D5 turret info with the 50. The D5500 turret is a little different, but, like the D5 turret, there may indeed be some 50s that will focus and spin as not all 50mm lenses have the same flange focal length.
    Here's KHB's lens mount reference for the D5500, which indicates which lenses need which plates for which turret (and which lenses don't work with the turrets).

At first I thought this was a generic list, but I now see that it is specific to the D5500.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5500.htm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a simple solution that I've continued to use. It's two 20 inch long dowels stuck into a stick and mounted on the wall. The clips are plastic clothespins (the modern-day type). I've used it to dry roll-film, sheet-film and rc prints. I've dried several larger prints by attaching them to two clips, one on each dowel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for paper sizes bigger than 30x40 cm² trays are more cost-intensive. I'll buy storage boxes at a big 'swedish furniture store'. For example they sell a bed storage box which can be used for prints up to 60x70 cm²:

It costs less than 10€. It has a flat bottom and is easy to clean. It can be used with less than 2 litres of chemicals. I use it with some buckets in a single tray process.

rudi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At a kitchen supply store I bought a "gravity-powered-silicon-based-fixed-interval timing device for timing print development. Also known as an hourglass egg timer. Be sure to get one with sand that shows up well under safe light.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a coat hanger to dry my film. Took it apart then put on drying clips (however I also use a hanger that already has clips installed for hanging pants) put it back together. Take the loop on top, turn it sideways, then I hang it on the shower curtain rod, load it with wet film and let the film dry.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    At a kitchen supply store I bought a "gravity-powered-silicon-based-fixed-interval timing device for timing print development. Also known as an hourglass egg timer. Be sure to get one with sand that shows up well under safe light.
    The kids won't get it. Call it a quartz crystal fixed interval timer.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    The kids won't get it. Call it a quartz crystal fixed interval timer.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    FWIW...we have seven D5XL's (condenser heads) with the turrets. In 50mm, we use Nikkors, Schneiders and Rodenstocks (all f2.8) -- and a wide variety of ages. These three lenses work for us -- sometimes I have to use a second mounting plate behind the lens to allow the turret to rotate freely. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which brand which needed the spacer. Still focuses fine, but one does have to make sure the bellows are all the way up. I'll check tomorrow if the classes are not busy in the darkroom.

The other spots have 80mm and 135mm lenses...just about all Nikkors (f5.6)

Vaughn, Nikkors or Nikons? News at 11
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin