Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,172   Online: 1211

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Meopta Opemus 5a Enlarger

Hi Everyone,

I've been offered a Meopta Opemus 5a" Enlarger. So far I've found that when it was made it had the following spec:

Lens: Anaret 4.5/80.
    Condenser lens: two-lens of 105 mm diameter.
    Lamp: opal max. 150 W.
    Enlargement: max. 6.2x onto the base plate.
    Weight: 9.3 kg.
    Years of production: 1982-84.

I would be using it with 35mm negs (B&W) of course and was wondering if anyone has experience with this make - opinions would be welcomed. I guess I could get it for around £25.00.

Kind regards Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first enlarger - ah, you never forget your first love - was an Opemus 6x6, most likely the direct forerunner of the machine you're talking about. Very sturdy with a focusing device. They used to be around 100 pounds sterling in the seventies so this price you will have to fork out is a laugh. Buy the thing! if it is in good working order. The lens is not bad either although it meant for 6x6 negs. For 35 mm film a 50mm lens would be a better choice. You will need some filters if you want to do printing on VC paper.
    Regards
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hans,
    Thank you for your very quick reply I'm trying to find out if it has a 50mm lens fitted now, but if not there's plenty around for virtually pennies these days. Also happily I already have the filters as I frequently hire, beg, borrow or steal darkroom time LOL
    Regards Tony

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had an Meopta Axomat 5a which must be similar. I do recomend the brand, very robust. My enlarger was modular, I could and did change the condensor head for a dichroic one. Size of enlargement may be an issue but mine could swing for wall projection. The lens makes a big difference obviously. At £25 it's gotta be a steal though.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,
    Thank you also. I believe it can be rotated 180 degs on it's baseboard allowing me to project onto a lower surface or the floor I think I'll take a couple of negatives over to have a look at it and if it looks clean then it could be added to my family before the weekend.
    Regards Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format

Meopta Opemus 5a Enlarger Update :D

Just a quick update and to thank Hans and John for your kind advice.

I am now the proud parent of a Meopta Opemus 5a Enlarger. When I arrived with the seller I found that it was fitted with a colour head and a 50mm Meogon Lens. It can be rotated either on the baseboard 180 degs as well as through 90 degs for wall projection. The neg holder is adjustable for 35mm up to 6x6. Whilst I was there I also picked up a transformer; timer and easel. Due to the colour head and other goodies I happily offered £55.00 for the lot which was happily accepted. It's going to need a little time invested giving it a clean but other than that it looks perfect.

Many thanks once again guys Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Tony, a colour head is even better for VC paper printing. Make sure though how the cc values of the filters compare with Ilford/Agfa. Only 55 pounds for the lot? Leaves you some change for a few pints at the Lens & Tripod pub.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hans, Well (hic!!) there is that advantage of course. Finding it was a colour head did throw me on what to offer, but as he was so happy with the offer I don't feel quite so guilty Before you and John replied I wasn't sure if I should touch it as it's a new one on me.

I've had a good look over it and it's exactly what you and John said it would be ie very sturdy and the focusing is surprisingly very smooth. In fact I would go as far as to say that it feels better than ones I've used in hired darkrooms and at colleges. I tried a sample focus onto white A4 paper just to check for sharpness and it's spot on. After I've given it a good clean I'll try some test prints then it's Selenium toning experiments here I come with negatives developed in Rodinal of course LOL

Kind regards Tony

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just one thing I remember, if you have the same neg carrier as I did, you can ensure sharp focus by pulling the neg carrier out a little to use the split line focusing system.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Images
    Great deal especially with a colourhead and all those accessories. I own a Opemus 6 with a colourhead and have no regrets. Perhaps you might want to upgrade the enlarger lenses.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin