Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,410   Online: 1152

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Newbie - Need Advice on EQUIPMENT

Hi,
    I don't have a darkroom built(most likely will be using the bathroom),,, but what do you think of these opportunities?
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pho/1974593047.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pho/1975060538.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pho/1976293654.html

I'm partial to the vivitar 'cause it comes with a 35-110mm tank. I bought a 110 steel spool from an APUG friend here on the forum.

thanks for reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tanks are cheap, even new. A plastic tank with two adjustable reels can be had for less than $25 from Freestyle or any other large retailer of darkroom gear. The Beseler and Omega enlargers are both first rate machines, and the Vivitar enlarger isn't even in the same league. To put it bluntly, the Vivtar is a piece of crap compared to either the Beseler or Omega units. Yes you can use it, but you'll outgrow it fast. I had the same enlarger with a Bogen brand plate on it and it was just awful. I gave it away to a friend who wanted to try his hand at the hobby. He's since passed it on to yet another newbie in favor of a better machine. Of the other two offers, I think the Beseler is the better of the two. It looks used and dusty, but it's a solid machine if it's in good shape. The safelight is worth as much as a tank, and you'll need one of those too. The Omega is very nice and almost the same as an old B600 that I"m using to make small prints from 35 mm negatives. I like that little enlarger - a lot. When all I want to do is make 4x6 or 5x7 prints from 35 mm negatives, it's so much easier than cranking up either the Beseler 45MX II or the Omega D4 that I have in the darkroom with it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd go for either the beseler or Omega (partial to Omega's). Wasted too much time with a condenser, finally got wise and got a diffuser (color) enlarger head. Nice to have each option, but if pressed to only own one, it would be a diffuser enlarger. Nice to not have to worry so much about dust spots!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All three enlargers have condenser lamp houses. The Vivitar is still a piece of junk.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the Beseler is the more substantial of the two. (I am also ignoring the Vivitar) It has a cheapie 50mm lens, which will get you started with printing 35mm negs. I think that the Omega is a little higher than you should need to spend for a starter enlarger in the current market. One thing to consider, however, is that the Beseler is going to be more of a hassle if you need to move it in and out of the bathroom each time you use it, it is likely to weigh a lot more than the Omega.

One thing you might want to do is check garage sale listings too, I found my Beseler 45 that way, and it was only $25 including a bunch of trays, a timer, and lots of odds and ends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out enlargers that comes with a 50mm and also a 75mm lens, and both 135 and 120 negative holders.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd bet that the "35mm to 110mm" reference is in error, and that it is actually a 35mm to 120 reel and tank.

The Beseler is the best deal, assuming it is in decent shape.

The Omega is very usable too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a cherry Omega, and I use a Beseler myself, but that said, the Vivitar could be a good first enlarger. Especially if you need to stow it away often and if funds are at a premium. You might take the difference in costs and put it toward paper, chems, and a good second-hand book on enlarging. When you get a more permanent setup, you might step up if you feel the need. But that Omega looks real sweet....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Beseler by a landslide. Solid proven designed. Best deal price wise also.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin