Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,173   Online: 731

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Paper processors

Having recently lost my darkroom, I hired a professional darkroom for the day. It was a revelation - especially as it had an Ilford 2150 processor. A whole day in the darkroom without getting my hands wet! And I managed to get through nearly a box of 100 10x8s.

This got me thinking - I have an enlarger and a dark 'space' at home, but not much space/time for trays these days. A processor at home would keep me printing - the Ilford 2150 is a bit of a beast, but does anyone have experience with smaller processors, for doing 10x8s, like the Thermaphot range? Are they suitable for the casual, low volume user? Do they get expensive to run?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Durst Printo that I used for color for a while. Works well for black and white, but you are limited to RC papers. That limitation is why I don't use it more. Small processors are no more expensive to run than trays. The Printo takes 2.5 liters of chemistry, which is what I use for my 11x14 trays. The only limitation is all your baths are the same speed, so there isn't a way to use a short stop bath, so it may be 3 minutes start to finish, instead of 2.5 minutes. However I found the rollers remove almost all the developer, so you can get by running a two bath system, especially if you use an alkaline fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I run a Fujimoto CP31, a 12" wide, 3 tanks (1.85L per tank) with wash dry module. Mostly I use it for colur RA-4 printing, but have used it from time to time for b&w.

If for b&w: Pick a film strength fixer and a developer that is not too dilute, and then there is no need to slow the rollers down from the usual RA-4 45" per tank. Even with the heaters turned of, I find the pumps tend to drive the baths up to about 24C.

I wash longer than the minute of so the W/D does, so I disconnect it for b&w.

I have done FB b&w in mine; it involves pre-wetting and then sitcking the floppy paper to a RC carrier sheet; mine came from long expired EP/2 paper that I have washed the overcoat off, and fixed, and then washed to leave it as just a gelatine coated RC slab. You still need a second fix, and archival washing, but it soes speed up production; I had a cast photo that went out as 25 8x10's of the same image.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I run a Durst Printo as well, fantastic unit, maximum size is 12" wide paper.

I used it for RA4 for many years, these days I have been using it for B&W a lot.

I mix my own paper developer, but Ilford's standard paper developer works a treat, I also run it at 24ºC and at RA4 speed.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin