Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,828   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Print tong recommendation?

Hello Folks, it may seem silly asking for a recommendation for something as mundane as print tongs. But I use them each time I make a print!

Many years ago, I purchased a set of three Kostiner stainless steel tongs. These were expensive, about $40 for the set as I recall, but they were great. They had nice rubber pads and they were designed such that you couldn't exert too much force on the print. After a long time, the rubber pads started wearing away, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new set. Apparently the Kostiner company had changed hands in the meantime. I got the same stainless steel tongs, but the rubber pads were made of a different material, and they actually had sharp edges on them. I lost a couple of prints because the sharp edges gouged the emulsion.

So I have looked at the New York mail order web sites, and all I see are the cheapo plastic ones. I bought a couple sets of these, but the problem is that they break when I make 11x14 prints. The prints are too heavy.

Anybody out there with recommendations??

Thanks in advance,

-- Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy a product called AFAIK "Dip It" for coating tool handles. It is a vinyl coating. Should work very well for this application and your steel tongs will last a very long time.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thoughts exactly. It should work reasonably well. I too had problems with the el-cheapo plastic tongs. Just like the OP stated, they broke rather easily. After that I went back to using the rubber tipped bamboo tongs. Cheap as chips and they're holding up rather well. Check this.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Similar product would be my guess;

http://www.plastidip.com/

I've used it to re-coat the throttle and clutch levers on a vintage motorcycle when the original coating had become hard, yellow and cracked. It's been on the levers for six years of hard use now, no problems.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If refurbishing the tongs doesn't work you might want to consider switching over to nitrile gloves (at least before you buy a set of different tongs).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have some combination wood-plastic cheap ones that tended to come apart, and the rubber tips swelled up and rotted off. Junk.

Right now, I am using some $2-3 bamboo tongs from a local kitchen supply store. They are about 6" long, look like monster tweezers, and seem pretty resistant to dektol and stop bath. (I use my fingers in the fixer, and I don't want to mingle chemicals together via my fingers, so that's why at least two of the trays have tongs.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, whenever I'm looking for products that "used-to-be", I go to eBay first and foremost. It's the nation's garage sale! If you get clever enough with search terms and patient enough, you'll probably find your exact, beloved tongs.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These are the best type of plastic print tong. I break off the locking tab to make them more friendly.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5101-A...Tongs-Set-of-2

I know what you mean about the Kostiner SS tongs. The only way to get those away from me would be to pry them from my cold dead hands!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been experimenting with tongs that are similar to these kitchen tongs (although smaller):

http://www.kitchencollection.com/Tem...earched=tongs&

So far, so good.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, I was thinking along the lines of kitchen tongs myself. Not too many days ago, there was a thread started about "Your favorite "Improvised" darkroom equipment." This one could well be headed in that direction.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin